Q. What should I use to avoid chickenpox scars?

Dr. Gaurang Gupta
Published on May 24, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My chickenpox started seven days back. The fever has subsided now.

I had been taking:

• Azithromycin,
  • Acivir 400 DT,
  • Cetzine,
  • vitamin E capsule and,
  • applying Calamine only on spots.

A few spots are getting covered with a crust. What should I use at this stage to avoid scars? Looking at the pictures, will it leave any scar? How long will it take to go away?

Dr. Gaurang Gupta

Cosmetology Dermatology Hair Transplant Surgeon Venereology
#

Chickenpox takes around two weeks to get scabbed off. Since as per your query, if it already formed a crust, then now it will scab off soon.

Do not touch it or scratch it. Otherwise, there will be high chances for scars on the face.

The treatment you were taking is entirely correct, and you need not apply any particular thing on that.

Wait for a few days more around a week to get rid of them.

As per your photos, I do not think that they may leave a scar. Just you be careful not to touch or scratch.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Can I take a bath while having chickenpox? Till date, I had been only sponging.

Dr. Gaurang Gupta

#

Yes, you can take a bath. But, do not remove scab or crust forcefully.

After shingles, can I get chickenpox also?

Query: Hello doctor, Are there chances of developing chickenpox after shingles?  Read Full >>

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Chickenpox and shingles are caused due to the same virus. Chickenpox occurs first and the virus stays dormant in the dorsal ganglia of the spinal nerves. After years or when immunity decreases, the person gets an attack of shingles. Most people get shingles only once, b...  Read Full

Is it safe to breast feed baby during chickenpox?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 22 years old, and I am a mother of four months old baby. Recently, I have got infected with chicken pox. Does breast milk transfer chicken pox to the baby? Do I need to take special care of my baby? Can I do breastfeeding now? Does it affect my child? Please help.  Read Full >>

Dr. Baratu Bhaisara
Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. A mother who contracts chickenpox can do breastfeeding. Any vesicles present on the breast should be covered to minimize the risk of transmission. There is no evidence shown the presence of the varicella-zoster virus (Chickenpox) in breastmilk. Hence breastfeeding is sa...  Read Full

How to safeguard rest of the family from chickenpox?

Query: Hi doctor, My brother is suffering from chickenpox. What can I do to prevent it from spreading to my family members? What type of diet can he take? He is a 10 year old boy whose weight is 51 kg.  Read Full >>

Dr. Meha Malhotra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. In case all of your family members have got full blown chickenpox earlier, there is nothing to worry about. Otherwise, you need to keep your brother in a separate room until all his lesions have crusted. Wash all his utensils and clothes separately in hot water. He ca...  Read Full