Q. What are the treatments available for chickenpox in an adult?

Dr. Divakara P
Published on Oct 16, 2014 and last reviewed on: Sep 11, 2019

What are the treatments available for chickenpox in an adult and secondary bacterial infection of the skin due to chicken pox?

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pain Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

Treatment for chickenpox in adults is tablet Acyclovir 800 mg five times a day for seven days.

For secondary bacterial infection, you can apply Soframycin (Framycetin) ointment over the skin lesions three times a day for one week.

You can also take some antihistaminics like tablet Allegra 120 mg (Fexofenadine) once daily to prevent pruritus.

Hope it helps.

Consult a general medicine physician online to know more about chickenpox --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

Is it safe to breast feed baby during chickenpox?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 22 years old, and I am a mother of four months old baby. Recently, I have got infected with chicken pox. Does breast milk transfer chicken pox to the baby? Do I need to take special care of my baby? Can I do breastfeeding now? Does it affect my child? Please help.  Read Full >>

Dr. Baratu Bhaisara
Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. A mother who contracts chickenpox can do breastfeeding. Any vesicles present on the breast should be covered to minimize the risk of transmission. There is no evidence shown the presence of the varicella-zoster virus (Chickenpox) in breastmilk. Hence breastfeeding is sa...  Read Full

Why did I get chickenpox for the second time?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 18 years old and I am suffering with chickenpox. I got this in the past too. How to get rid of it?  Read Full >>

Dr. Tim Evans

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We normally do not get chickenpox on more than one occasion. This is because, we develop a strong immune response to the virus and our body fights it before the infection takes hold. However, of course it is possible. If you did not develop a strong initial immune re...  Read Full

What causes itchy fluid filled lesions and throat pain?

Query: Hi doctor, My son who is 28 years old is 6 feet tall and weighs 84 kg. He had an issue of urticaria last year and was under medication. He had a course of antihistamines for a month. About five hours ago, he noticed lesions this morning that was itchy. After bathing, the lesion on back has become re...  Read Full >>

Dr. Gaurang Gupta

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have attached the pictures (attachments removed to protect identity). Well, is it just a five hour history? Are these vesicles increasing in number? It is looking like chicken pox caused by herpes simplex. Since this disease is in initial stage, I can just m...  Read Full