Q. What are the treatments available for chickenpox in an adult?

Dr. Divakara P
Published on Oct 16, 2014 and last reviewed on: Sep 11, 2019

What are the treatments available for chickenpox in an adult and secondary bacterial infection of the skin due to chicken pox?

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pain Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

Treatment for chickenpox in adults is tablet Acyclovir 800 mg five times a day for seven days.

For secondary bacterial infection, you can apply Soframycin (Framycetin) ointment over the skin lesions three times a day for one week.

You can also take some antihistaminics like tablet Allegra 120 mg (Fexofenadine) once daily to prevent pruritus.

Hope it helps.

Consult a general medicine physician online to know more about chickenpox --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

| 

Is it safe to breast feed baby during chickenpox?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 22 years old, and I am a mother of four months old baby. Recently, I have got infected with chicken pox. Does breast milk transfer chicken pox to the baby? Do I need to take special care of my baby? Can I do breastfeeding now? Does it affect my child? Please help.  Read Full »

Why did I get chickenpox for the second time?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 18 years old and I am suffering with chickenpox. I got this in the past too. How to get rid of it?  Read Full »

Why do I have itchy fluid-filled lesions and throat pain?

Query: Hi doctor, My son who is 28 years old is 6 feet tall and weighs 84 kg. He had an issue of urticaria last year and was under medication. He had a course of antihistamines for a month. About five hours ago, he noticed lesions this morning that was itchy. After bathing, the lesion on back has become re...  Read Full »