Q. How to cure chlamydia infection?

Dr. Vandana Andrews
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 30, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 13, 2020

Yesterday, I was diagnosed to have chlamydia. I am freaking out because I want to get it cured as soon as possible to prevent damage to my ability to have children later in life. Unfortunately, I am not able to get treatment from the nearby hospital for a couple of weeks. I was wondering if there is another way to get the treatment sooner if possible. The clinic offered free treatment, but my peace of mind and less damage done is worth me paying for the prescription as long as I can afford it. I just do not know where to go or if the clinic could fax the results somewhere. Thanks for the help.

Dr. Vandana Andrews

Internal Medicine
#

I can understand your concern.

Chlamydia trachomatis is a STD (sexually transmitted disease).

You have got the infection from your partner so you both should be treated. Ideally, a vaginal swab test should be done to confirm the diagnosis.

You have not mentioned whether you have taken the test to confirm chlamydia infection.

First line agent for uncomplicated infection in non-pregnant patient is Ceftriaxone with Azithromycin 1 g orally for one dose or Doxycycline 100 mg orally twice daily for seven days.

If you can share your vaginal swab test with cultural and sensitivity then I can suggest you the right treatment. Do not panic. It will be cured once you take proper treatment.

Revert back with the swab test report to an general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

| 

I have no STD symptoms. Should I still get tested before I meet my wife?

Query: Hello doctor,Due to work, I have been away from my wife for more than two years. I had a few sexual encounters with sex workers here. I had unprotected oral sex and protected vaginal sex twice last year, protected oral sex and protected vaginal sex once last year, unprotected oral sex and protected ...  Read Full »

What are the side effects of taking levofloxacin and azithromycin tablets?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 19 year old male and I weigh 46 kg. Over the last seven months, I am suffering from fever along with chest and back pain. I also have body ache and little blocked nose but not runny nose. The mucus keeps coming out from my mouth. I have headache and I feel very tired. My stool is ...  Read Full »

Shall I take Azithromycin for chest congestion and cold?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 38 years old and I weigh 55 kg. l am having chest congestion and cold. The doctor prescribed me Azithromycin 500 mg for three days and Levocetirizine. I am asthmatic. I am also taking Foracort 400 twice a day whenever I have a breathing problem. My symptoms are not impr...  Read Full »

Ask a General Practitioner Now