Q. My mom has cholelithiasis with bloating and stomach pain. Please help.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

My mom is 67 years old. She is diagnosed with cholelithiasis (GB completly filled), suffered from acute cholecystitis and treated with i.v Moxifloxacin for seven days and recovered now. She also has diabetes, hysterectomy, nephrectomy, and appendectomy. Her recent LFT, RFT, and CBC are fine. However, her ESR is at 130 mm. She went for laparoscopy of GB, but doctor says it is risky for her. Her problem is bloating and pain in the stomach occasionally.

Currently, she is taking PPI, Semithicone, and enzyme supplement. What should I do? Please reply.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Medical Gastroenterology
#

I can understand that you must be very upset about your mother. Well, if she had developed acute cholecystitis once, then I strongly suggest you to get her for laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Because no medication is actually going to help her.

I suggest you to take surgical opinion from another surgeon who is an expert in laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Please remember that age is not a contraindication to surgery, however; surgical risks are comparatively higher than a young one. But this risk can be minimized to a substantial degree in expert hands.

The experts involved are laparascopic surgeon, anesthesia, and cardiologist if required. I hope this will give you way to think differently.

Symptomatic gall stones.

Laparoscopic cholecystectomy.

|