Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. My mom has cholelithiasis with bloating and stomach pain. Please help.

Answered by
Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 04, 2020

Hello doctor,

My mom is 67 years old. She is diagnosed with cholelithiasis (GB completly filled), suffered from acute cholecystitis and treated with i.v Moxifloxacin for seven days and recovered now. She also has diabetes, hysterectomy, nephrectomy, and appendectomy. Her recent LFT, RFT, and CBC are fine. However, her ESR is at 130 mm. She went for laparoscopy of GB, but doctor says it is risky for her. Her problem is bloating and pain in the stomach occasionally.

Currently, she is taking PPI, Semithicone, and enzyme supplement. What should I do? Please reply.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Medical Gastroenterology


Welcome to

I can understand that you must be very upset about your mother. Well, if she had developed acute cholecystitis once, then I strongly suggest you to get her for laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Because no medication is actually going to help her.

I suggest you to take surgical opinion from another surgeon who is an expert in laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Please remember that age is not a contraindication to surgery, however; surgical risks are comparatively higher than a young one. But this risk can be minimized to a substantial degree in expert hands.

The experts involved are laparascopic surgeon, anesthesia, and cardiologist if required. I hope this will give you way to think differently.

The Probable causes:

Symptomatic gall stones.

Treatment plan:

Laparoscopic cholecystectomy.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Can robotic-assisted partial laparoscopy be done on obese patients?
How to find the reason for right lower abdominal pain?
Should I undergo a tubal laparoscopy or would a HSG suffice?

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

My 11 year old son has acute periumbilical abdominal pain. Is surgery necessary for gallstones?

Query: Hello doctor, My 11 year old son has acute periumbilical abdominal pain after waking up and vomited a couple of times. Before, he used to wake up with mild to moderate pain, but three days back he had severe pain. The pain got relieved half way to the ER, so we came back home. I noticed early th...  Read Full »

Can masturbation cause stomach pain and cramps?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 26-year-old boy. I am suffering from stomach pain, cramps, and gastric problem. Before six years when I eat some food I got still more inflammation, pain, and cramps. The first year when I reported in the hospital I came to know that I have gastric ulcer, so I took the medicat...  Read Full »

How can I manage the stomach pain present below the breast on the left side?

Query: Hi doctor, I have stomach pain below the breast on the left side with difficulty in depositing waste. I also get a fever during the early morning. Please help.  Read Full »

Also Read

Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»
I was diagnosed with Celiac disease a year back. Can you suggest any medicine?
Having celiac fromnlast 10 year dignosis recently ayear ago since then i am gluten free still cant absorb food feeling w...  Read more»
My head is shivering from 20 days, and it feels like head trauma. What is the cause?
Hello sir, My head is shivering like anything , feeling like trauma is head. And its start anytime in a day and when s...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Medical Gastroenterologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.