Q. I have white, foul-smelling discharge in my left ear since childhood. Please help me.

Dr. B. Vageesh Padiyar
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 18, 2021

I have an ear discharge from childhood. I have a white liquid coming out often with a bad smell. I cannot hear clearly. It is present in my left ear. Sometimes, I have itchiness. Please help.

#

You have an ear discharge with a foul smell from childhood. You need to do HRCT (high resolution computed tomography) of the temporal bone to rule out cholesteatoma. For now, you can take the following treatment. You can take a tablet containing Ciplox 500 mg (Ciprofloxacin) along with Tinidazole 600 mg one tablet two times a day for five days. This is an antibiotic and it can cause loose motions in few cases. If you develop loose motions, then you can start taking probiotics one tablet in the morning and evening for a week.

You can also take tablet Zerodol P (Aceclofenac with Paracetamol) one tablet two times a day after food for five days. This is a painkiller with anti-inflammatory properties. Please stop using earbuds as they can introduce new infections into the ear canal. It can cause excruciating folliculitis. You can traumatize the ear canal and eardrum while using it. Cleaning your ear on your own is a blind technique. The wax usually falls on its own due to jaw movements. While using earbuds, the wax can be pushed into the ear and it can cause trouble. You can take tablet Sinarest (Chlorpheniramine maleate, Paracetamol, and Phenylephrine) one tablet in the morning and evening after food for a week. Keep your ear dry.

|