Can having junk food lead to my worrisome lipid profile?

Q. My lipid profile is worrisome. Can it be due to junk food?

Answered by
Dr. Prashant Valecha
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sneha Kannan
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 09, 2015 and last reviewed on: Aug 16, 2023

Hi doctor,

Few days back, I felt little dizzy and when checked my BP was quite higharound 149/89 mmHg. My recent lipid profile is also worrisome. What should I do now? I prefer eating junk food most of the time and dairy products like cheese and paneer more. I gained some weight now. I feel some slight vibration in the left side of my chest when I shout loudly. Apart from this, I have few kidney stones of about 3 to 5 mm. Now I am taking approximately 2.5 liters of water a day. Otherwise, I am healthy. I do not take any medicines except for kidney stones and injection Voveran for the same.



Welcome to

My advice to you as per your complaints and reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Lifestyle modification which includes exercise of 30 minutes jogging or brisk walk every day or at least four days a week. Reduce weight. Reduce dairy products and the quantity of meal and avoid junk foods. Eat oats, vegetables, fruits and nuts (groundnut, almonds, walnut, flax seeds, etc.,) every day. Stop injection Voveran and take injection Tramadol for pain plus injection Ondansetron to avoid vomiting. Take an ECG (electrocardiogram) now and also when you feel something over chest while like fainting so we can rule out any rhythm problem. Stop smoking if you do so. Avoid stress and follow the instructions and repeat your lipid profile after six months. Blood pressure (BP) also will improve with jogging and exercise but weekly once BP (blood pressure) should be checked. If it is high like this, then we have to think of medicine.

Hi doctor,

Do I need to worry about my condition? Or is it fine for now? Can I start walking and exercise now? Do you wish that I should visit a doctor for physical evaluation or for any medication? At this early age, how cholesterol can be increased? I never smoke and drink. I eat junk foods only twice a week like pizza or rolls or sandwiches or noodles or momos. Are these that harmful?



Welcome back to

Your lipids are borderline abnormal nowadays most of the people have a sedentary lifestyle and that is one of the causes. Because of your young age and no other associated risk factors, lifestyle modification is necessary. If your conditions become worse despite exercise, cholesterol free diet and no fried foods as they have trans fats, then medication is needed for you. Get an ECG done and meet your doctor if you feel any further complaints such as chest pain, fainting, palpitation, breathing difficulty, etc.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Hypertension and Skipping Anti-Hypertensive Pills - A Small Step Towards a Big Mistake

.. the misconceptions prevalent among people against having anti-hypertensive pills .. ...   Read full

Hypertension - How Aware Are You?

.. your knowledge and teaches you hypertension facts .. ...   Read full

What can be done for sudden chest and back pain?

Your total cholesterol or HDL ratio is high ... This means that you should make some diet modifications in order to reduce cholesterol levels ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Cardiologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.