Q. How to get treated for cough associated with chest pain?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Sep 18, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 20, 2019

I have five weeks of cough, with mild yellow phlegm, malaised, chest pain, type one diabetic, and on Azathioprine for ulcerative colitis. Get exposure to Tb daily. Also finished rotation in peads. Tb test is negative, wcc and crp normal, mild hypoxia on blood gas, macrocytosis, and mild lymphopenia. Gastro doctor advised stopping Aza temporarily. 5/7 of Clarithromycin helped, still coughing and chest pain ct after antibiotics suggested atypical pneumonia vs. mycobacterium infection. Pulmonologist here not available for some days and I would like to go back to work. What would be the next step in terms of management?

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

If your investigations are regular, why are we suspecting any infection? I would consider this allergic bronchitis. I would recommend you to go for anti-allergic like a combination of Levocetirizine and Montelukast once a day for two weeks. You may add up any bronchodilator like Doxophylline. I hope it helps you. If you have any further query, please ask me.

Due to being immunocompromised, having chest pain, and cough. CT chest shows diffuse calcifications of the trachea and main bronchi. Diffuse centrilobular nodularity with a tree-in-bud configuration with some more confluent consolidation evident as well as pleuroparenchymal banding within the left lower lobe. Features suggestive of an infective process, atypical viral pneumonia or a mycobacterial infection could be considered. Also, some changes are evident within the right apex.

#

In that case, you may take Augmentin along with Clarithromycin or Levofloxacin. This would work wonder. If you have any further query, please ask me.

Why is there mild chest pain although it is not a heart attack?

Query: Hello doctor, My mom had chest pain yesterday evening at 3 PM. It was mild pain on the left side. Today morning she also had mild pain three times. I had contacted a cardiologist yesterday. He asked me to perform an ECG test. After seeing the ECG report, he said there is little issue in ECG line. T...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Good news, there is no heart attack. It is normal. If there is recurrent chest pain especially with exertion or chest pain that relieves with rest and recurs on walking, climbing stairs, etc., then to be on safer side, have an ETT (exercise tolerance test) done. In this...  Read Full

How to proceed with my chronic dry cough?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old female. I am suffering from cough for almost a month and my abdomen is paining badly due to cough. The cough gets so severe and I end up vomiting, be it early morning or night. I consulted the doctor and was diagnosed with chronic cough. I followed the medicine and it o...  Read Full >>

Dr. Abhishek Dixit
Nephrologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Chronic cough for more than three weeks needs evaluation. I would recommend to check CBC (complete blood count), ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), Mantoux test, chest x-ray, ECG and serum creatinine levels. Chronic GERD - gastroesophageal acid reflux symptoms...  Read Full

Please suggest ayurvedic medicine for persistent cough.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 39 year woman. I read about ayurveda on the internet and would like to use it as a means to find a lasting cure for my health problems. I have been coughing for over 2 years now and cough up blood and also have pain on the right upper side of my back. I also experience dizzines...  Read Full >>

Dr. Revathi Sundaramurthy

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Good to hear about ayurveda from you. But we cannot neglect chronic cough with blood. So, it is my humble request for you to visit a local physician immediately and get back to me with the reports like x-ray, blood test, etc.  Read Full

Ask a Pulmonologist Now