Q. Is Pantoprazole not ideal for kidney patient?

Dr. Harshul Gohel
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 11, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 03, 2020

My wife is a kidney patient and she has acid reflux, which causes chest tightness and feels like a lump in the throat. She was given GI cocktail and feels some relief. Later they prescribed Prantopozole 40 mg. We are wondering whether she can try Pepcid or Gelusil or Prilosec as we are worried about the side effects of Pantoprazole that might affect the kidneys. Please advise.

#

Pantoprazole is used clinically to reduce gastric acid secretion. Pantoprazole can relieve pain in patients with duodenal ulcers and improve nausea, bloating, acid reflux, belching, and other ulcer-associated symptoms.

The bioavailability of Pantoprazole is >75% and it is metabolized primarily in the liver. Approximately 80% of Pantoprazole metabolites are excreted by the kidneys and retained in the stool.

The plasma clearance rate is 11 l/h, as so Pantoprazole has relatively fewer adverse side effects compared with other pharmacological agents. Side effects include occasional dizziness, insomnia, drowsiness, nausea, diarrhea, constipation, rash, muscle pain, arrhythmia, increased aminotransferases, and decreased granulocytes.

Regularly monitoring kidney function.

Continue the Pantoprazole as prescribed.

|