Q. My mother has vesicoureteral reflux. Is it life-threatening?

Dr. Rahul Suresh Kulkarni
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 17, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 28, 2021

My mother has vesicoureteral reflux, which was diagnosed 20 years ago. At that time, her left kidney was functioning 27 % and her right kidney 72 %. She is getting tired and she is a heavy drinker and smoker. Should I be concerned for her? She does not want to see a doctor. Is her condition life-threatening?

#

• It is strongly advised that your mother gets a kidney function tests like serum creatinine, blood urea, and nitrogen.
  • She should at least try to reduce her smoking and drinking, as it would further contribute to the worsening of the kidney function. If possible, she should quit smoking as it is very harmful to the kidneys.
  • As the function of the second kidney seemed adequate at the time of the initial investigations, it is probably not life-threatening. But because it has been long, she has to repeat the investigations. We will have to look at the new reports to decisively tell the prognosis.

Once you get the reports, do get back to me, so that I can tell you about more precautions or further management required for her.

Revert with more information to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|