Q. Are my sinus issues and tonsil stones related?

I have had sinus problems my whole life, getting sinus infections every year or sometimes twice a year, constantly having drainage in the back of my throat) and it was only annoying until a few days ago. Four days ago, I learned I had tonsil stones when I coughed up about 10 (no photos provided). I went to the doctor and she said it was because of a virus causing me to produce more mucus than normal. I was given a medicine and took it and the mucus amount went down a lot and I started feeling better and thought my tonsil stones were gone. However today, I coughed up two more. So, I decided to see if there were any I did not find on my previous visit, so I could make sure there were none left. I ended up removing 22 tonsil stones (photos provided to prove I am not exaggerating). While removing one, my tonsil started bleeding. I am not even sure if they are all out since I got the majority of those from one side of my mouth and my throat has hurt after both times I have gotten them out. Anyway, my question is, is there a possibility my sinus issues are linked to my tonsil stones, and would an ENT help me remove them since I have so many? Is there a possibility I have tonsillitis?

Do you have a question on Chronic Maxillary Sinusitis or Tonsillitis?

Ask a Doctor Now

MBBS (MADRAS MEDICAL COLLEGE)., DLO., CERTIFICATE IN ALLERGIC RHINITIS MANAGEMENT., DNB
Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)

I understand you want to know if your tonsil and sinus problems are related.

• Yes. Recurrent post nasal drip due to sino-nasal infection or chronic sinusitis can cause local infection in the tonsils which make the tonsillar crypts produce thick and excess mucus. This mucus gets trapped in the tonsillar crypts which are small passages in the tonsillar tissue. After entrapment, they act as a nidus for the growth of bacteria and stone formation. Over time, they form stones, known as tonsilloliths.
  • Regarding bleeding, excessive trauma by pressing the tonsil to remove the stones could have traumatized the epithelium and caused bleeding. The tonsils could have been infected and pressing them would have released the inflammatory exudate which has blood also.
  • What to do:
  1. We need to know the exact symptoms.
  2. What are the sinus-related symptoms?
  3. What is the duration and frequency of symptoms?
  4. Is there nose block or smell sensation?
  5. Is there aggravation or relief with medicines or nose drops?
  6. Regarding tonsil related symptoms, is there any swallowing problem, pain, voice change, throat pain aggravation, relief, fever, etc.?
  7. Have you done any tests for this such as a tonsillar swab, streptococcus, sinus scan or CT?
  • I would advise you to take a picture of your mouth wide open so that I can see the tonsils clearly and grade their enlargement. I would also be able to see congestion, flushing of anterior pillars, palate, posterior pharyngeal wall and lateral pharyngeal bands. If post nasal drip is there, that also can be made out in the picture.
  • A sinus CT scan is required to check if you have any lingering pathology in the sinuses which are contributing to the throat problem. The sinus scan should be ideally done when there is no infection because, during an infection, the scan will anyways show pathological changes in the sinuses.
  • Whether you have an infection now, we can say after looking at the throat. If there is, we shall institute appropriate antibiotics, decongestants, and mucolytics. Subsequently, you can go for the scan.
  • Until then, I would advise taking a dilute mouth rinse, the one with Benzydamine is good. Along with that, take some anti-inflammatory medicines like Trypsin-Chymotrypsin-Rutoside combination.
  • Do revert with all the details and the photograph. Also, palpate your neck and tell me if there is any swelling or tenderness felt.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

My head hurts when I blow my nose. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18 year old female. My height is 167 cm and weight is 53 kg. I have had headaches and pain in the eyes for the last two days. My nose has been blocked for about a week now and every time I blow my nose, my head hurts a lot. It also hurts when I shake my head.   Read Full >>

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your query. I believe you are suffering from sinusitis. The drainage from the bony sinuses is blocked due to blockage of the nose and this is causing a headache. I suggest you consult an ENT (ear, nose and throat specialist), who will recommend an X-r...  Read Full

How Does Salt Water Gargling Cure Tonsillitis? How Vaporizer And Medicated Inhalant Helps?

Query: Hi doctor, Does air humidifier help with tonsillitis? How would salt water gargling cure tonsillitis?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Air humidifiers are of various types and not all of them are useful for someone suffering from tonsillitis. And also, tonsillitis requires gargling of warm water mixed with salt. Salt water gargling helps reduce pain, inflammation and infection in the throat by the foll...  Read Full

Is CT scan safe during pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 29 year old female, and I was hospitalized for a week due to UTI. As a part of it, a CT scan was taken, which showed that I am completely cured. Then the next day, a blood test showed two weeks pregnancy. I am worried that the CT scan would have an adverse effect on the baby. C...  Read Full >>

Dr. Deepti Verma
Fetal Medicine Specialist

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.I have gone through your question, and I understood your concerns.CT scan has strong radiations, and it is known to have adverse effects on the fetus. You should consult a gynecologist and decide further action.Hope you found the answer helpful. Do get back to me for furt...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now