Q. I got my tonsils removed last year. Now, I have redness on one side. Why?

I had my tonsils removed last year. Now, on one side, I have this red area. It can get inflamed sometimes and every now and then, I get a cyst or ulcer in that area. Why is this area red and not on the other side? Is it due to a lot of blood vessels in one area that used to supply the tonsil or what?

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

I have viewed the images attached by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• The area is congested due to the blood vessels. The opposite area is also congested although not as much as the left. It is called flushing of the anterior pillars. This is characteristic of a chronic tonsillar disease for which you got your tonsils removed in the first place.
  • The congestion will reduce gradually. When the blood vessels convolute, gradually the congestion will reduce.
  • The recurrent ulcers are probably due to nutritional deficiencies. Vitamin B complex, especially B12 and folate with Vitamin C are required for a healthy mucosa.
  • You should be taking plenty of green leafy vegetables and fruits and probiotics to prevent ulcers.

Hope your query is answered. Do revert back if you need anything more. Happy to help you.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

| 

So, it does not look like erythroplakia?

#

• The congestion does not appear like erythroplakia. Right now, I cannot make out any ulceration. When an ulcer or cyst shows up please take a picture and send it.
  • For now, a conservative management with a nutritious and balanced diet with vitamin supplementation would suffice.

Do revert back if you need any further support.

|