Q. Can I smoke after having my tooth opened for RCT?

Dr. Purva Jingar
Published on Oct 25, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 24, 2019

Early today, I was at the dentist's because of a sharp pulsating pain in my tooth. The doctor opened the tooth, cleared the root canal with those little needles, and he left the tooth open and put some medicine in and a piece of cotton. The dentist told me to come back in a week or so when the pain stops. The pain stopped immediately when my tooth was opened, and I am okay now. It only hurts a little. I would like to know if is it fine to smoke with an open tooth? Will smoking make the pain worse? Will it pain like a dry socket which happens after tooth extraction?

#

• Well, you had the procedure of root canal therapy. So, smoking is bad in this case because this may decay your tooth and you might need to extract the tooth. I suggest you avoid smoking now and in the future.
  • Dry socket is something that happens when the tooth is removed, and the socket becomes dry due to lack of moisture in it. So, I suggest you avoid smoking as much as you can until you get a new cap on the tooth.
  • It is better to avoid smoking even in the future because it might damage the other structures in the mouth.

Keep me updated with the improvements. Regards.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Had an extraction and bone graft was placed over it. Is there any chance for dry socket?

Query: Hi doctor, I had an extraction of a molar in the morning, and a bone graft was placed over it. My surgeon placed a collagen plug over it to make the graft to stay in place. Can I have a blood clot below it? I am afraid of getting a dry socket. Last time, I had a dry socket, when I had a wisdom toot...  Read Full »

Can root canal treatment be done on a small kid?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2-1/2-year-old son has a problem with four teeth (front, above) and doctors are suggesting RCT (root canal treatment). Here are my questions. Can RCT be done for such a small child? Will it affect his next teeth at around 7 years of age? Is there any alternate for RCT ...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for chronic sinus infection due to weather?

Query: Hello doctor, I have chronic sinus infection because of it I will face problem whole winter. What treatment should I take to get relief from cold in these winter months? Shall I make a choice for vaccination?  Read Full »