Q. Could you please advise me on cleaning my clogged ear?

Dr. B. Vageesh Padiyar
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 09, 2021 and last reviewed on: Sep 15, 2021

I am 17-years-old with a height of 6'4" and a weight of 180 lbs. My right ear is clogged, and I experience this issue about once a month. I tried to clean my ears with peroxide, but it did not help. I am not under any medication. I have had an issue with earwax accumulation in the past. The earwax is dark brown. Could you please give me advice on cleaning it or what to buy to help me out?

Thanks.

#

From your statement and from the symptoms that you have, the issue is due to impacted wax. This can be extremely frustrating as it blocks the entire ear canal and can cause pain and decreased hearing if the wax touches your eardrum.

You can consider the following advice;

1) Please stop using earbuds as it introduces a new infection into the ear canal and can be the reason for an excruciating folliculitis. You can end up traumatizing the ear canal and eardrum since cleaning your ear on your own is ultimately a blind technique. The wax, which usually falls off on its own due to jaw moments, gets further pushed inside the ear and can cause trouble.

2) Kindly use Soliwax ear drops (Benzocaine, Chlorbutol, Paradichlorobenzene, Turpentine oil). It is an ear wax dissolvent. Use three drops thrice daily for five days. This will liquify any impacted ear wax and gradually subsides the pain and inflammation. However, in a situation wherein you do not find any relief, it is advisable to get the retained impacted contents (wax) suctioned out under supervision by visiting an E.N.T specialist. As the wax dissolvent drops liquefy the wax and do not remove it completely. Once this blob is removed, you will find immediate relief from the symptoms.

I hope I have answered your query.

Warm regards.

|