Q. My daughter experience intermittent ear pain with clogged ears. Please help.

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N

My daughter is 17 years old. She had a cold for about four days when she started complaining of bad ear pain. She was seen in urgent care a week ago and was diagnosed with a middle ear infection. The APRN noted her ear was pretty angry and prescribed Amoxicillin 500 mg. She is supposed to take two pills in the morning and two at night, which she has. She also suggested to continue Mucinex D (which is how I was treating the cold). Her severe ear pain did resolve in a day or two, but she still complains of ear pain intermittently. I am worried about taking Mucinex D for so long, but even if she does not take it she complains of ear pain. She is also saying that she cannot hear out of the ear. To be fair, she says the pain is not as bad initially, but I am still worried. I gave her a Claritin last night thinking it may help, but it just made her stuffy. I know we still have three days on the antibiotic, but should it be completely cleared up by now? Should I take her back to the doctor? Or try something else?

#

Complete the course of antibiotics. Take Mucinex D (Guaifenesin) once or twice a day, like how you have been taking for another three to four days. If Mucinex D has an antiallergic component then no need for Claritin or Allegra. Otherwise, add either of those to be taken once a day. This will help to clear out ear secretions.

Let water not enter the ear while bathing. Let her take rest and refrain from going to school or playing until she is better. After the course of antibiotics gets over it will be prudent to show the ENT specialist once so that he can look into the ear with an otoscope and check if the problem has resolved or not.

|