Q. Is there any correlation between anal fistula and clubbing of fingers?

Dr. Ankush Gupta Dhaniram
This is a premium question & answer published on May 06, 2022 and last reviewed on: May 12, 2022

I am a 29-year-old male. I am healthy and fit and do not consume alcohol or smoke. However, I have had an anal fistula. In addition, I have mild clubbing of my fingers, and the doctor said it could be because of Crohn's disease or IBD. But I do not have any symptoms related to the diseases mentioned above.

#

There can be numerous reasons like lung diseases, inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD) like Crohn's disease, liver disease, and chronic anemia causing clubbing of nails, also called spoon-shaped nails or koilonychia.

As you mentioned, you are healthy and have no other symptoms other than an anal fistula. An anal fistula may be associated with constipation and irregular bowel movement, and it may be the reason causing chronic blood loss leading to chronic anemia and causing clubbing of nails.

1.Relieve constipation by taking a high fiber diet, drinking lots of water, exercising daily for 30 minutes, and avoiding fried and outside food.

2. Avoid straining while passing stools.

3. Get the fistula treated. You can opt for surgery if it is chronic.

4. Get routine blood investigation to rule out any liver or lung diseases.

5. Start Isabgol husk (Psyllium husk) sachet before sleeping for ten days.

6. Use ointment Anusol HC (Hydrocortisone acetate) over the anal area involved.

7. Take tablet Orofer XT (Vitamin B9) once daily for ten days.

Report back with progress. Thank you.

|