Q. Can cocaine cause elevation in LFTs?

Dr. Mohammad Aamir
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 01, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 07, 2021

My recent ALT is 90 and AST is 86. I used cocaine two days before the blood test. Can it cause an elevation in LFTs? If so, how long of an abstinence period would be needed to get LFTs back down to normal levels?

#

• First of all cocaine did not make LFT (liver function test) rise just taking it for two days. It is possible only if you have been taking cocaine from long time.
  • Second thing is ALT (alanine transaminase) 90 and AST (aspartate transminase) 86 are not that high values which will make any damage to your liver.
  • Please answer the following questions to help you in detail.
  • Do you take alcohol? If so, since when and how many times a day?
  • Did you have any fever in the past two months? Had any medications like pain killers or antibiotics or herbal products recently?
  • Did you gain any weight in the past four months?

Revert back with the answers for the above questions to a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician  

My alcohol consumption is very low. I do not even drink more than 2-3 times a week and I do drink mostly beer. I do not take any medication such as pain killers, antibiotics or herbals. I have been using cocaine for over 6 years at least once a month. My LFTs have been gradually increasing over the past two years.  When last time after two days of using cocaine my LFTs increased about 20-25 points. This recent increase is why I am researching the existence of a link between cocaine usage and possible liver damage.

#

• Your long-term cocaine usage along with alcohol consumption, which is acting like an add on factor is resulting in increased LFTs.
  • Till now your LFTs are not that much increased, so there is not a big worry for you now.
  • So, you should stop taking cocaine and consult a psychiatrist for it.

For further information consult a general medicine physician online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

|