Q. I am diabetic and have cold toes and feet with sweating. Why do I get this?

Dr. Ankush Gupta

I am 66 years, 175 cm, 72 kg. I have diabetes from 2009 and hypothyroid from 2011. I am taking Janumet (50/500) BD and Thyronorm (75) OD. My blood sugar is 105 - 111, HbA1C 6.7. TSH is1.93 and Hb is 11.9.

My lipid profile is normal. Serum creatinine is 1.16. My diabetes has been under control by medicines since inception. My BP is 125/82 mmHg. Temperature is 98.0 F. Sometime I feel cold in my toes, even when my feet are sweating. Can you suggest some remedies?

Dr. Ankush Gupta

Critical Care Physician Diabetology
#

HbA1c (Glycated hemoglobin) is still on the higher side. It should be below 6 to be normal. Do regular testing of FBS (fasting blood sugar), PPBS (postprandial blood sugar) to monitor the blood sugar levels. Coldness in feet can be due to less blood supply to feet that can happen in case of any clot in blood vessels.

Peripheral neuropathy is also common in diabetes which can lead to less sensation in feet. I would suggest you undergo color Doppler leg to rule out any clot. Tablet Gabapentin once daily you can start along with previous medicines.

| 

I am also taking Deplatt CV 20 (OD after dinner) for seven years. Blood clot is less likely. As of now (because of COVID), I do not want to go to a hospital. I will start tablet Gabapentin (after dinner) from tomorrow. Until I go to a hospital, can I do some thing for peripheral neuropathy?

Dr. Ankush Gupta

Critical Care Physician Diabetology
#

The only thing you can do to prevent peripheral neuropathy is to keep blood sugar under control. And daily examination of feet and legs to check for an ulcer or injury. Daily walk for 30 minutes.

|