Q. Kindly guide me with the medicine to control diabetes.

Answered by
Dr. Krutika Shrikant Ingle
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 22, 2020

Hi doctor,

I am 56 years old. My height is 167 cm and weight 100 kg. 11 years ago, I was diagnosed to have diabetes. The maximum score of my sugar was around 280 occasionally due to uncontrolled eating even with pills (DPP 4 and Metformin). Sometimes, I have overeating problem. My HbA1c is 6.5. My cardiac MRI showed inflammatory cardiomyopathy borderline with associated VPC. It is under control by Metoprolol 50 mg twice daily. Now, I would like to change my medicines. But, sulfonylurea medicines can increase weight. Acarbose and Voglibose do not work properly. The new medicine offered by my doctor was sodium glucose transporter, but I afraid of kidney damage. Another offer was a slow release Insulin injection, but this can also increase weight. Kindly guide me.



Welcome to

  • Firstly, is this your BSL (blood sugar level) in fasting or 2 hours after food?
  • I would firstly like to ask you whether you exercise and follow a strict diet or not. That is the most important aspect when you have diabetes. So, please exercise for at least 30 to 45 minutes daily and follow a good healthy diet.
  • Coming to your diabetes issue, you need to consult another doctor or cardiologist, who can change your medication, tablet Metoprolol.
  • I do not know if your present doctor informed you, that Metoprolol (beta blockers) can affect your insulin levels and hence, affect the sugar balance.
  • You do not need a change in your diabetic medications, they are perfect. Take a look at your HbA1c; it is in perfect range for a diabetic. I am amazed.
  • So, do not worry. Meet a good cardiologist or internal medicine and do not forget to tell him the medications you are on.

For further information consult a diabetologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body ... Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus:...   Read full


What Is Diabetes ... Diabetes or diabetes mellitus is a condition that affects how your body uses blood glucose or blood sugar ...   Read full

Tips for Healthy Appetite

.. the condition in which we do not feel hungry at all, resulting in growth retardation, weight loss, depression, headache, etc .. ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Tomato Fever - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Tomato fever is an unidentified and fast-spreading type of viral infection seen in young children. Scroll down to know m...  Read more»
Histrionic Personality Disorder - Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment
Histrionic personality disorder causes variations in the thinking ability of a person. Read this article to know more.  Read more»
Nighttime Skin Routine for Clear Skin
A skin that gets all the attention during the day requires a chance to repair, rejuvenate and replenish from day damage ...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Diabetologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.