Q. I have cold and cough along with shortness of breath for the past 4 days. What should I do?

Dr. Ama Siddiqui
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 16, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 12, 2020

I have a cold and a dry cough. Sometimes I feel that I am short of breath. It is going on for like four days now. What should I do?

I am currently taking Neozep for my cold and Solmux for my cough.

#

This ongoing pandemic is confusing to rule out any upper respiratory symptoms to be doubtful for any non-COVID respiratory infections. Unless, there is any physical contact with any COVID positive person, and if no physical distancing was followed or if someone is not in suspicious containement zone, it is advisable to be safe and not to panic.

As the symptoms of cold and productive cough are not accompanied with raise in temperature and no other physical suffering like headache or muscle cramps, and for your age it is not a prone group for the possibility of COVID infection. You can continue with your present medications and advise you to cover yourself with a mask and try to gargle with Betadine gargle 2% OTC with like warm water and if you can take a local available consultation not to miss any bacterial infections and in case detected antibiotic course can be advised. If any of your symptoms aggravate or do not subside or more symptoms are felt kindly get your self checked. In case you feel any further queries to be clarified, kindly review back on this same platform.

|