Q. I experience pangs of pain in my lower right abdomen. What could be the reason?

Dr. Rajesh Deshwal
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 03, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 22, 2019

I am a 50 year old male. My height is 5 feet and 10 inches, and my weight is 260 lbs. I am in good health with excellent vitals. My blood pressure, sugar levels, and cholesterol are in exceptional range. I have never been on any prescription pills. All of my routines have been normal and regular and I am currently working on continuing to lose weight by adjusting the intake of calories, but still eating the full range of foods. It has been a safe and gradual process and I am down by 35 lbs over the past two years. I do not exercise now, but I stretch every morning for about 20 to 30 minutes.

For the last week, I have experienced pangs of intermittent pain in my lower right side. I would approximate the feeling to be about 2 inches inside my side and just about at the lateral side of my body, perhaps a bit more towards the back. The pain is not acute, nor persistent, and it seems more present once I wake up. It does not bother me at all during the night. My own research does not seem to align with appendicitis or something abdominal, and I am beginning to believe it is a temporary muscle spasm of sorts, primarily due to a lousy work chair which has been a recent change. Again, all bodily functions are normal and I have not had headaches or fever or pain of any kind elsewhere. It is localized and randomly repeats only in the lower right, internal area I have described. I would like to know what is on the field of considerations, serious to not, so I can assess the next steps.

#

• A pain in the right lower quadrant of the abdomen might just be a colicky abdominal pain. The pain of appendicitis is usually acute with fever and the appendix usually gets inflamed and may even burst. So, that seems unlikely.
  • Still, I would advise you to get an ultrasound of the abdomen to exclude a subacute appendicitis. If the reports are normal, just take some antispasmodics for pain-relief.

Good luck.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|