Q. I experience pangs of pain in my lower right abdomen. What could be the reason?

Dr. Rajesh Deshwal
Published on Oct 03, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 22, 2019

I am a 50 year old male. My height is 5 feet and 10 inches, and my weight is 260 lbs. I am in good health with excellent vitals. My blood pressure, sugar levels, and cholesterol are in exceptional range. I have never been on any prescription pills. All of my routines have been normal and regular and I am currently working on continuing to lose weight by adjusting the intake of calories, but still eating the full range of foods. It has been a safe and gradual process and I am down by 35 lbs over the past two years. I do not exercise now, but I stretch every morning for about 20 to 30 minutes.

For the last week, I have experienced pangs of intermittent pain in my lower right side. I would approximate the feeling to be about 2 inches inside my side and just about at the lateral side of my body, perhaps a bit more towards the back. The pain is not acute, nor persistent, and it seems more present once I wake up. It does not bother me at all during the night. My own research does not seem to align with appendicitis or something abdominal, and I am beginning to believe it is a temporary muscle spasm of sorts, primarily due to a lousy work chair which has been a recent change. Again, all bodily functions are normal and I have not had headaches or fever or pain of any kind elsewhere. It is localized and randomly repeats only in the lower right, internal area I have described. I would like to know what is on the field of considerations, serious to not, so I can assess the next steps.

Dr. Rajesh Deshwal

General Medicine HIV/AIDS Specialist Internal Medicine
#

• A pain in the right lower quadrant of the abdomen might just be a colicky abdominal pain. The pain of appendicitis is usually acute with fever and the appendix usually gets inflamed and may even burst. So, that seems unlikely.
  • Still, I would advise you to get an ultrasound of the abdomen to exclude a subacute appendicitis. If the reports are normal, just take some antispasmodics for pain-relief.

Good luck.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I have frequent urination and severe pain in abdomen. Kindly advise.

Query: Hello doctor, I had fever two days ago. Then one day ago started frequent urination and I could not hold it every time it happened. And there was pain during urination. Then started pain in the stomach. Today the urination is not that much but I have severe pain in both sides of my abdomen. I am no...  Read Full »

My Bilirubin total - 2.2, Bilirubin Direct - 1.5, SGPT - 4548, SGOT - 4153

Query: Dear doctor, Here is my lab report: Bilirubin total: 2.2 Bilirubin Direct: 1.5 SGPT: 4548 SGOT: 4153 I have taken drip and injection for nausea. Now nausea has been cured. I have only abdomen pain now, and my fever has been cured before three days. Color of urine is yellow and color of stools is...  Read Full »

Gallstones - All You Need to Know

Article Overview: Gallstones are formed in the gallbladder due to an imbalance in the composition of bile or due to stasis. Gallstones are generally composed of cholesterol, bile pigments, and mucin. Gallstones can be asymptomatic and incidentally detected on an ultrasound scan. They can cause pain (biliary colic), acute calculous cholecystitis, chronic cholecystitis, acute pancreatitis (a very serious condition), common bile duct obstruction, obstructive jaundice, and cholangitis (can be severe and cause multiple organ failures). Read Article

Dr. Datta Ram Udayagiri

Introduction: Gallstones are a common condition. Gallstones form in the gallbladder due to an imbalance in the composition of bile. About 1500 ml of bile is secreted by the liver every day. Normally, bile is necessary for digestion of fat and absorption of fat soluble vitamins. It is also...  Read Article