Q. Is the color of my tongue normal?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam
Published on Dec 08, 2018

I have a concern in my mouth. I am a 25-year-old woman. Is it normal for the underneath of my tongue to look like this?

#

I have seen the picture you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This is 100 % normal for the tongue to look like. The undersurface of the tongue looks in this color because of the artery and veins supplying the tongue is quite visible clearly. This is the same sort of thing seen in the inner surface of the elbow joints. And the string running through the tongue is the muscle attachment called frenulum which again is a normal feature. Do not panic for this. You have told you have never seen it in this color. But I think you have never probably seen this keenly. Moreover, it is the way we see things. You should be worrying only if your tongue turns red, purple or even matte white for that matter. The top surface of the tongue will still look whiter in most of the normal times because that is the part which carries the taste buds and oral bacteria all around. I mean you should not see white patches in your tongue. Good oral hygiene includes tongue cleanliness too. I advise you to use a plastic tongue cleaner or back of the toothbrush head to clean the tongue after every brushing.

One Single Food for a Newborn's Complete Needs

Article Overview: A complete guide to wellness and health benefits of breastfeeding your little loved one. It is a unique bond of affection, love and care that leaves positive impact on the baby's life forever. Read Article

Mother's breast milk is a complete diet for the newborn that suffices all the needs of the baby for the start of a healthy life. Breast milk is: Easily digestible and is a completely nutritive, having all the necessary nutrients. Full of immunoglobulin (to save the baby from disease causing ...  Read Article

Why does my tongue have a white and yellow coating?

Query: Hello doctor, I was wondering why my tongue has a white and yellow coating? Do I have a yeast overgrowth? If so, when I take antimicrobial or anti-fungal herbs, it gets worse as well as when I take garlic or oregano, it gets worse which makes me think it is not a candida overgrowth. In fact when I ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vinay Kumar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have noted your concerns. Having had treated similarly presenting patients at my practice, I want to tell you that it is not a cause of worry. Most often this condition is seen in individuals who have a geographical tongue, or as an early sign of jaundice or some oth...  Read Full