Q. How do I stay free from bad breath?

Dr. Subha
Published on Jul 07, 2014 and last reviewed on: Sep 17, 2018

How do I stay free from bad breath?

Dr. Subha

Dentistry
#

Causes for halitosis (bad breath) are:

• Calculus (tartar) deposits on the teeth due to poor oral hygiene.
  • Periodontitis - gum problem.
  • Food impaction inside the decayed teeth.
  • Debris on the tongue.
  • Systemic causes such as gastritis.
  • Temporary cause like intake of garlic, onion, etc.
  • Smoking and alcohol consumption.

Simple ways to overcome bad breath:

1. Brush twice daily with toothpaste and toothbrush.
  2. Use Chlorhexidine mouthwash diluted in water twice daily.
  3. Clean the debris off your tongue with a tongue cleaner after brushing.
  4. Rinse your mouth thoroughly with water soon after every meal.
  5. Avoid onion, garlic, etc.
  6. Quit smoking and alcohol.

These alone do not cure bad breath. Identification of the cause and its elimination is mandatory.

Consult a dentist online to be free from halitosis --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Can smoking cessation cause strained bowel movements?

Query: Hello doctor, My age is 39 years. I have quit smoking, cold turkey after smoking for almost 18 years. It is my 29th day of being smoke-free. Everything was going fine until last 7 to 10 days my bowel movement has been strainful. Few days I have seen very small sized hard stools and sometimes small ...  Read Full >>

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post, it is normal to have hard stools after quitting smoking for that you have to add a salad, do exercise, and take enough water. It is a temporary phenomenon which usually settles in three months till intestines adapt nicotine free blood. You h...  Read Full

Would fundoplication help gastritis?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been struggling with pressure under my ribs and tightness in my chest for 5 years. It is on and off, but mostly it gives me a hard time to come through. I feel hard to belch often. I have taken Esomeprazole and Nexium to keep the reflux down, but the tightness and other awful ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have carefully worked through your health query and can well understand your issues. Yes, it seems to be due to GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease), simply the acid reflux. It has caused damage to the esophagus and other parts of the body too. Hiatal hernia...  Read Full

After getting my teeth cleaned, why do I still have inflammation?

Query: Hello doctor, I got a teeth cleaning done, but the inflammation is still there. The dentist said that I need to get treated for a receding gum line through surgery. She said it was due to brushing hard and asked me to switch to a soft bristle toothbrush and sensodyne toothpaste. I am also awaiting ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Use warm saline gargling daily at least 2 or 3 times, for two weeks. This will help in reducing the inflammation and help in preventing further recession of gum line. Also if you can get Betadine gargle for rinsing then it would be much better, this would be of grea...  Read Full