Q. What do high MPV and giant platelet in CBC mean?

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 31, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 26, 2019

My father is 65 years old. Recently, we went for his routine cardio checkup. His doctor suggested thallium stress test, which was normal. He has been hypertensive for 15 years and is on anti-hypertensive Ramipril 5 mg, Amlodipine 2.5 mg and one diuretic. His BP was high, so the doctor has increased his dose this time. The doctor also asked for CBC. His CBC showed high MPV and giant platelet. What does that mean? I am attaching the report here. It would be really helpful if you go through the whole report and clear my doubt.

#

I had gone through all the reports posted (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Mean platelet volume suggests the mean volume of single platelet, which is high and is mostly an incidental finding.
  • Some bleeding disorders like functional defects of platelets are associated with giant platelets. Also, in case of increased production of platelets, they are released into circulation before they mature and so, immature platelets will be giant.
  • As there is no history of any bleeding disorder like bleeding from gums and spontaneous petechiae, it does not need further workup.
  • We can do peripheral smear to look platelets. But in the present scenario, it does not seem clinically significant.

For further information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

|