Q. My platelet count, uric acid, SGOT, and SGPT are deranged. How can I be treated?

This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 06, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 29-year-old man and I weigh 115 Kg. My preventive health checkup results show the following irregularities: Mean platelet volume 12, CHCM 31.8, mean platelet volume at 12, total cholesterol 200.6, serum uric acid 7.8, globulin 3.7, SGOT 93.27, SGPT 213.87, and vitamin D total 25- hydroxy at 5.05. Kindly advise me on the lab results.

#

I will explain the above one by one.

• Your mean platelet volume is more and the CHCM (cell hemoglobin concentration mean) is low; however, it is not clinically significant what warrants treatment.
  • Your SGOT (serum glutamic oxaloacetic transaminase) and SGPT (serum glutamic-pyruvic transaminase) are high in addition to the high uric acid and cholesterol. These are all the features of insulin resistance syndrome for which you will need to be treated or else it can lead to diabetes, cardiac problems, and hypertension.
  • You need daily 40 minutes of regular exercise with brisk walking five days a week and a diet containing fresh fruits and vegetables.
  • I suggest you start Metformin 500 mg with dinner along with Rosuvastatin 10 mg at bedtime. This will also decrease your weight and improve the uric acid, SGOT, and SGPT. 
  • Your vitamin D is very low. I suggest you start supplementing it with capsule Lumia 60K (cholecalciferol) weekly for six weeks. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the above medicines with their consent.
  • However, lifestyle change is very important at this point; otherwise, it may cause problems in the future.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

For how many days will I have to take Metformin 500 mg, Rosuvastatin 10 mg, and capsule Lumia 60K?

#

• If you start exercising and keep diet in control, you will be fine.
  • You can get tested again after three months.
  • If everything goes fine, we can decide about withholding the medications.

|