Q. What does the presence of starch in the stool indicate?

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh
Published on Apr 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

We had a stool test for my 2.5 year old daughter. The result reported presence of starch granules in the stool and the stool pH is acidic 6. What does it mean?

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh

Child Health Paediatrics Pediatric Allergy/Asthma Specialist
#

• I would be more interested in knowing the complaints of your daughter and the symptoms rather than the report findings.
  • By seeing the stool report, I can just guess that your baby is suffering from loose stools.
  • Since you have asked particularly about the report I shall answer about it.
  • Generally, starch granules are seen in the stool if there is indigestion, which happens in diarrhea.
  • Normally, the pH of the stool should be alkaline or slightly acidic that is more than 7 to 7.7.
  • The stool becomes acidic when there is lactose intolerance that means lactose is a substance in the milk and the body is intolerant in digesting the milk.
  • Lactose intolerance is a temporary phenomenon seen in children with loose stools and that is the reason for our advice to stop giving milk and milk products for children with loose stools.
  • I suggest you not to worry about the report findings as they are temporarily abnormal. Once the child is off the condition, then she will be normal.

For further information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

Antibiotic-Associated Diarrhea (AAD)

Article Overview: Antibiotic-associated diarrhea (AAD) is the passing of watery stools after taking antibiotics. It results from infection by antibiotic-resistant pathogens. Read Article

Dr. Geethu Thomas

The consequences of long-term antibiotic administration are diarrhea, antibiotic resistance, impaired immunity, increased cost of treatment, organ failures and deaths and reduction in beneficial phytoestrogens. Antibiotic-associated diarrhea (AAD) is unexplained diarrhea associated with the use of a...  Read Article

Why am I having diarrhea following constipation for a long time?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having a slightly upset stomach with bloating for the past four months. I thought I had a bug. Two weeks later, it seemed much better. However, my bowel movements did not return to normal. I had mostly constipation for about a month (even though my stomach did not feel as upset anym...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your history fits into the acid peptic disease. I do not find any sign of cancer over here (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I would recommend you the following. A combination of Pantoprazole and Domperidone once daily for a few days. A good probiotic, t...  Read Full

I have acidity and indigestion problem. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old male, who weighs 62 kg. My stomach is swollen, and it feels as if it is filled with gas. I also have low appetite, acidity, and indigestion. I used to chew tobacco from a long time, but I quit it recently. I am an occasional drinker, and I am fond of spicy foods. I am...  Read Full >>

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post. You are suffering from an acid peptic disease, for which you are taking Famotidine at present. Also, your stomach is bloated as mentioned in your post. So you have features of IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), and I would suggest you take a com...  Read Full