Q. Can I take Tadalafil and Bupropion together to conceive?

Dr. Poosha Darbha

I am currently taking Tadalafil as we are trying to conceive a child. I used to take Sildenafil Citrate but switched to Tadalafil a few months back. There are certain days when besides taking Tadalafil or Sildenafil I am unable to maintain an erection. This could be either due to low sex drive as this has become a routine chore or anxiety to conceive during ovulation so as to not miss the cycle.

Under such circumstances is it recommended to take Tadalafil and Bupropion together? If Bupropion is advisable then how many hours before sex should I take it? Can I just take this tablet on days of conceiving? Do you suggest any other alternative besides Bupropion? Taking Tadalafil is giving me side effects like dry mouth and dry eyes, especially while sleeping. The side effects reduce a bit after a few days but continue up to the next cycle. Is there anything I can do to reduce the side effects?

#

First, I would like to know the frequency of intercourse and the days on which you are trying for pregnancy. I mean, do you have sex every day during those days? Once every other day?

| 

I have intercourse every other day around the ovulation.

#

That is an optimal frequency.

However, as I see it, you appear to be stressed out on having to perform on specific days whether or not you have the mood. Unfortunately, this happens to tons of thousands of men in your situation (of having to perform on specific days per the doctor's prescription). As you rightly observed, work-related stress or other common factors could compound the problem.

I do not encourage depending on medicines so much, as each of these medicines has its share of side effects. Have you instead tried having sex early in the morning, after a sound sleep? Many men (and women) find this change in timing dramatically improve mood and erections. Try it for a week or so and revert to me. In case you must use some stress reliever and anxiety reliever, I encourage you to take Ashwagandha (ayurvedic) capsules instead, along with Tadalafil.

Tadalafil also may be taken only on alternate days (daily pill is not necessary). You may also try taking half a tablet daily to see if the side effects disappear. Take it either before the meal or two hours or so after the meal for efficacy. Give a half an hour gap between Ashwagandha and Tadalafil. Tadalafil 10 mg is enough.

| 

Where to put your penis during sex?

Query: Hello doctor,I recently got married and have a few doubts about intercourse. I am not clear about the vaginal spot. Where should I insert my penis exactly? I had a chat with my partner and she said that it is the spot where the gynecologist tested her uterus when we had a general check-up. Please...  Read Full »

Shall I take Tadalafil tablet to maintain erection?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 32 years of age weighing 76 kg and my height is 5 feet 6 inches. I am unable to maintain erection. I have been experiencing this since a year. Prior to that, it was all fine and great. I have not had any other health issue and my BP, sugar levels, cholesterol are all normal. I e...  Read Full »

Ask a Sexologist Now