Q. I am pregnant and having glaucoma. Will the labor pressure damage my eyes?

Dr. Shikha
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 14, 2021

I had keratoconus and started developing glaucoma. My eyes are really weak, and my right eye is at its thinnest point. I will upload reports from my doctor. I am pregnant and scared labor pressure. Will it cause any harm to my eyes? What is your opinion? I am on Euthyrox 25 for underactive thyroid.

#

• The condition is really bad in your right eye (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • Use scleral lenses till hydrops is resolved and pregnancy ends.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Will I be able to go through normal delivery? Or would a C-section be preferred?

#

• If this is not your first delivery, then no issues with normal vaginal delivery also.
  • Moreover, it is because of hormonal changes and not because of pressure changes that various procedures are not advisable during pregnancy.

For further doubts consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

This is my first pregnancy. One doctor said he would advise C-section due to the thin cornea and another said I can go for normal labor. Which one would you suggest?

#

• In any case, it is a better option to go for cesarean; however, there is no literature supporting it.

|