Q. I started taking prenatal vitamins to conceive. Can it mess up my hormones?

Dr. Sweta Singh
Published on May 08, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am trying to conceive from the age of 31, and I just turned 37. When I started keeping track of my menstrual cycle, it was a 37 days cycle, but now from few months, it is a 30 days cycle. Around that time, I began taking prenatal vitamins, Myo-inositol, and CoQ10, to help my old eggs. My cycle after I took these medicines progressed, and I noticed it messed with my ovulation day. Then I did not get my periods until the 37th day of my cycle, so I stopped taking the vitamins. And just when I was going to go to the doctor, after 58 days my period dribbled in weakly. The period itself was odd and concerning, I bled for 11 days, and the last five days being very heavy. I have never bled more than seven days before. Now, I am on the 37th day of the cycle but still did not get my period. I am getting nervous. Could my hormones still be messed up from the supplement, that I stopped a month ago? I have also been off my antidepressants (Wellbutrin and Lexapro) for a month, after taking them almost half of my life. Could that affect my cycle? Am I going into menopause on the strike of my 37th birthday? Can it be a cyst or cancer?

Dr. Sweta Singh

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• First of all be calm. After the age of 35, it is harder to conceive, but it is quite possible, and you may or may not need a little help.
  • You do not need any other supplement apart from 5 mg of Folic acid daily. And you need to do few hormonal tests on the second day of your next period.
  • For the time being, as your period is delayed, please get a serum beta-hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) test done. It will show whether or not you are pregnant and share the reports with me.
  • If you find the report to be negative, I will suggest some medicines to start your period, and I will let you know about the tests that you need to do.
  • Additionally, I would suggest that your husband gets a semen analysis test done, after 2 to 3 days of abstinence. Please share that report as well.

In the meantime, please stay calm. Being anxious will not help at all, everything has a solution, and we will find the best possible one for you.

Revert with more information to an infertility specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/infertility-specialist

| 

I am not pregnant. I am using donor sperm, and I have not begun inseminations yet because my period has been irregular.

Dr. Sweta Singh

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• After you get your period, please do the following tests.
  1. Follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH).
  2. Leutinizing hormone (LH).
  3. Anti-mullerian hormone (AMH).
  4. Prolactin.
  5. Ultrasound for antral follicle count.

For further queries consult an infertility specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/infertility-specialist

| 

Can you please tell me the name of the medicine to induce my period?

Dr. Sweta Singh

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Try taking tablet Meprate (Medroxyprogesterone) 10 mg twice a day for five days. You will get your period within two weeks, and then you can do the tests.
  • Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicine after their consent.

For more information consult an infertility specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/infertility-specialist

| 

Do I need a prescription for this medicine?

Dr. Sweta Singh

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• It depends from country to country.
  • I would suggest you try talking to your physician, he or she might be able to give you a prescription.

| 

We are undergoing infertility treatment.Will this treatment cause birth defects in our child?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 24 years old and she has PCOD. We have been trying to conceive for the past 2 years, but no result. We went to infertility specialist six months ago. He started the treatment through medicines and one IUI. But, all the treatments failed. Then, he decided to go for IVF....  Read Full »

How much Folic acid is required during pregnancy in Crohn's patient?

Query: Hello doctor, I have Crohn's disease and am pregnant. The first day of my last period was before 40 days and I have been taking multivitamins which includes 400 micrograms of Folic acid for the past four months. I am now pregnant. The doctor said that I need 5 mg of Folic acid due to the Crohns whi...  Read Full »

Trying to Get Pregnant? Infertility Treatments Explained.

Article Overview: Infertility is when a couple is unable to conceive after 12 months of regular sexual relationships without protection. If the patient is more than 35 years old, then infertility treatment is started earlier. Read the article to know more. Read Article

Dr. Gowrimeena
Infertility Specialist

Infertility is a condition where the couple is unable to conceive after 12 months of regular sexual relationship without birth control. In some cases we do not wait for this 12 month period to start investigating eg if the patient’s age is 35 or more, patient has irregular menstrual cycles, P...  Read Article

Ask an Infertility Specialist Now