Q. My wife is 31 weeks pregnant. Will high TSH level have any impact on delivery?

Dr. Anindya Das
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 28, 2017 and last reviewed on: Apr 02, 2021

My wife is 31.3 weeks pregnant. My wife, as well as my baby, is good. Every month on 5th we regularly do routine blood tests like FT4, TSH, CBC, fasting sugar and PP. She is a thyroid patient and in the dose of Eltroxin (125+25) every day. This time her TSH came as 3.667 though the normal range is 4.7. When I see reference range in pregnancy that says up to 3.0 is normal. Please suggest if this borderline high is fine. What should we do now? Her gynecologist stated that she will make her deliver after a month exactly from now. Please help as I am in deep stress.

#

• Your wife is in the third trimester of her pregnancy. In the third trimester, the recommended level of TSH should be under 3.
  • If the recommendation has to be followed, then this is beyond the normal range. You should consult your gynecologist and endocrinologist who can examine your wife and decide further course of management.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Is this very high? Will it cause any impact on delivery?

#

• No, it is not very high. This level should not have any impact on delivery.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|