Q. Can I use expired condoms?

Dr. Duraisamy Palanisamy
Published on Mar 08, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 19, 2019

Hello Doctor,

Can I use expired condoms? Is it dangerous? Will it affect my health?

Dr. Duraisamy Palanisamy

Andrology Diabetology Sexology
#

Welcome to icliniq.com

Use of expired condom will not cause any serious health issue. The following can happen: 

• Loss of strength and flexibility of condom resulting in breakage leading to unwanted pregnancy and spread of Sexually Transmitted Diseaes (STDs)
  • Loss of lubrication
  • Chances of allergy - irritation of penis and vagina causing rashes
  • Chances of Urinary Tract Infections (UTI)
  • Loss of effectiveness of the spermicides in the condom

Even if the condom is expired, it is better to use it rather than not using one.

Consult a sexologist online to know other modes of contraception --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

Burning Sensation in Vagina After Sex

Query: Hi doctor, I am currently pregnant and still used to have sex with my husband. After sex, there is a burning sensation in my vagina that last for minutes to hours. The thing is, it only happens after he ejaculates inside me. Please help.  Read Full »

A Patient's Guide to Recurrent Urinary Tract Infections

Article Overview: If you have frequent urinary tract infections, here are some strategies to reduce your risk. Read Article

Dr. Davie Wong
Urologist

1) Post-Menopause: As you get older, hormonal changes cause alterations to your vagina and its contents, predisposing you to urinary tract infections. Topical estrogen applied inside the vagina can reduce the risk of infections. Your doctor will decide if this treatment is right for you. 2) Sexual...  Read Article

Have allergy problems. I always have runny nose or sore throat or excessive sneezing and coughing and cannot breathe normally.

Query: Hello, I have been having allergy problems for many years. I cannot breathe from my nose even if it is not blocked because I feel like I get less oxygen from my nose. I also have asthma and as the seasons change my allergies react. I always have running nose or sore throat or excessive sneezing and ...  Read Full »

Ask a Sexologist Now