Q. 88 year old suffering from constipation. Please help.

Dr. Arul Amuthan
Published on Mar 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 27, 2019

An 88 year old woman approaches the pharmacist seeking a recommendation. She has been suffering from constipation for the past several weeks and has not found relief with the remedies she has tried, including eating prunes and using a daily fiber supplement. On reviewing her pharmacy profile, the pharmacist confirms she is taking multiple long-term medications including the one to treat hypertension, diabetes, thyroid disease, osteoporosis, and asthma. What can the pharmacist recommend to alleviate this patient’s acute constipation and prevent recurrence?

Dr. Arul Amuthan

Ayurveda Specialist Naturopathy Pharmacology Siddha Medicine Toxicology
#

• You have mentioned many drugs that can cause constipation by reducing intestinal peristalsis or by reducing the secretion into colon. For example, beta blockers used for hypertension can reduce the colon peristalsis and result in constipation.
  • So, in this case, we need to see the drug list whichever is already consumed by the patient and can replace it with other drugs which never cause constipation. This will give long-term relief and should be done strictly by the physician, not by the pharmacist.
  • In order to relieve the constipation instantly, pharmacist can give Bisacodyl (Dulcolax) or Senna (stimulant purgative). This should not be taken daily.
  • If the old age patient is bedridden, then better choice is enema with Glycerine or Liquid Paraffin by oral.
  • To prevent recurrent constipation, advice Isabgol or Methylcellulose (fibers) daily at night.

For further information consult a pharmacologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pharmacologist

Is there any surgery or medication available to treat corneal dystrophy?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a consultation with a local doctor, and she told me that I have corneal dystrophy. It is genetic here as my mother also have that. I can see bubbles moving around when I concentrate at any point, it is like tiny white color dots on cornea. I am using spectacles since last few ye...  Read Full »

Is it normal to have pain and tightness post hemorrhoidectomy?

Query: Hi doctor, I had hemorrhoidectomy before six weeks. I still feel some pain and tightness while sitting. Is this normal after six weeks? I think I have anal stenosis. Stool is difficult to pass even when soft. Always have to strain and never passes naturally. I know I have a hard scar tissue. I...  Read Full »

Why is there increasing amounts of mucus in the feces?

Query: Hi doctor, My 77-year-old wife has had constipation issues all her life. This coupled with IBS that generally results in at best small balls of feces. This is day five of no real bowel movement. She had a total knee replacement nine months ago and para-esophageal hiatal hernia repair. Early on use ...  Read Full »

Ask a Pharmacologist Now