Q. The rash in my back has spread to my face despite taking antihistamines. Why?

Dr. Shama Naaz
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

I have a rash. It started ten days ago, first on my neck, which was red and itchy, then on to the back of my neck. The chemist advised antihistamine and mild derma cream, but it then continued to spread to my face, top of my back, and chest. The itching went away but more like spots now, and the whitehead's main area is the neck. Doctor thinks it is a bite as in exposed areas, it is still getting worse, and now the chemist said I should go back to a doctor. It is really getting me down, and it really is awful to look at. I just want to know what it could be. I have not changed anything at all, just walking my dog at the park more often (the doctor suggested scent fly maybe around the trees). I am taking an antihistamine and applying Camomile lotion. I generally get pimples around the neck region but not much. This is whiteheads very uncomfortable. I am attaching the pictures. Kindly help me.

#

It looks like you have developed allergic contact dermatitis (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). The important thing to reduce the lesions is to identify the trigger and avoid it. It can be anything under the sun like grass, chemicals, insects, certain food, etc.

To confirm the diagnosis, there are patch tests and serum IgE (immunoglobulin) tests. To reduce the redness and inflammation, you can apply Hydrocortisone cream 1% for five to seven days twice daily over the skin lesions. You can also do cold compresses.

Moisturizer application is also helpful. You should cover the area while going outside. Use only hypoallergenic skin care products (should not contain parabens or fragrance).

I hope this was helpful.

|