Q. I have astigmatism. Can I opt for a regular contact lens and will it cause any damage?

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Apr 30, 2019

I have a very blurred vision due to high eye grade and astigmatism. My left eye is 225, and the right eye is 675. I am planning to get a pair of contact lenses, but the special lenses are a bit pricey. Will it damage my eyesight if I am going to choose regular contact lenses?

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

In general, contact lenses are only meant for occasional use and cannot be used every day. In case you meant the special lenses have higher oxygen permeability and help your cornea stay healthy, please go ahead with those. The best option to remain permanently free from glasses is refractive surgery.

If your power has been stable for around a year, I will recommend that you see your ophthalmologist for SMILE (small incision lenticule extraction) or PRK (photorefractive keratectomy) than using contact lenses for a long term. In case you need further information, please let me know.

My son has ROP in both eyes. What precautions should I take for his eyesight?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 2 years old and has ROP issue in both eyes. The left eye is lasered and has -5 number. And the right eye has -1 number. I am very worried. Kindly suggest what I should do. And what precaution should I take to keep his eyes healthy?  Read Full >>

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Give your child glasses. Get his eyesight checked with glasses. If there is any amblyopia, start patching therapy. His power will increase with an increase in age. Power usually becomes stable at the age of 18 to 21 years. I am sorry, but there is no medicine or e...  Read Full

How to choose contact lenses for my power?

Query: Hello doctor, I want to buy contact lenses. I have a spectacle power on both my eyes. The power in my right eye is -2.75, cylinder - 0.50, and axis 20. In the left eye - 2.75, cylinder - 0.75, and axis 20. Please recommend what lens I should opt for. I need a recommendation for both regular wear a...  Read Full >>

Dr. Dada Peer K
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems from your history that you are having a refractive error in the form of myopia and astigmatism. This requires a correction by concave lenses and cylindrical lenses. You can go for the prescribed glasses or contact lenses. Coming to the choice of type of lense...  Read Full

How to get rid of glasses?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 24 years old. I have vision problem. I am unable to read books for more than half an hour. Also, I am not able to read for 10 minutes in computer. In my right eye the cylindrical power is -1 at axis 130 and in the left eye the cylindrical power was -0.75 at axis 40. What is the best ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Asif Manzoor
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have got astigmatism. It can be corrected by glasses or contact lenses. If you want to get rid of glasses, then there are different laser procedures like PRK (photorefractive keratectomy) or Femto-Lasik surgery. They are very safe and simple procedures. But, for the ...  Read Full