Q. Is it safe to use Halloween colored contact lenses?

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Are Halloween colored contact lenses safe? Do people who need prescribed contact lenses be using them?

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Ophthalmologists do not recommend colored contact lenses. However, they may be used occasionally for not more than a few hours. The reason is that compared to regular glasses, most colored lenses have a lesser tendency to allow oxygen to pass through to the corneas, thus causing damage to the corneal cells. This problem does not depend on whether the user is a prescription lens user or not. It depends on the quality of the lens and a few biological variables of the person using them. I hope this helps you.

| 

I have pain in the whole eyeball and I have blurry vision. How can this be treated?

Query: Hello doctor, About 45 days ago, I received a trauma to my right eye in a street fight, after which a large part of the cornea became blood red. After three weeks, the redness went away and the eye started looking normal, but I am still having a lot of discomforts. I am listing all the symptoms belo...  Read Full »

Why did I have blurred vision after sleeping with my contact lenses on?

Query: Hi doctor, Without remembering to take off my contacts, I slept with them on. It was only for three and a half hours. These are yearly lenses, so they are pretty thick. They are FDA approved but doctors normally do not recommend them. I woke up with my vision having a white haze. As the time goes b...  Read Full »

Is my left eye red due to constant contact lens use?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 16 years old, and I wear contact lenses. I have never really taken them off. I would sleep with the contact lenses in my eyes and I have started wearing them since I was 13 years old. I would change them, but I would not take them off, and I would go days. My vision gets worse wh...  Read Full »