Contraceptive Failure

I had protected sex with my boyfriend a week after my periods. Is it possible for me to get pregnant?

Query: Hi doctor, I had protected sex (condom) with my boyfriend last month, and my last period date was a week before my intercourse; I still have not gotten my periods. I am worried and anxious. Is there any chance of pregnancy with a condom? My periods cycle usually is 26 to 27 days. I did a pregnancy t...  Read Full »

Dr. Reetika Joshi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I fully understand your concern and will surely help you. To get pregnant, the sperms have to be released inside the vagina of the female. The sperms then need to fertilize an egg which may or may not be available depending upon the ovulation pattern of the female. T...  Read Full »

I vomited immediately after taking an emergency contraceptive pill. Should I take one more?

Query: Hello doctor, I took an i-pill (emergency contraceptive pill), and I vomited immediately. However, I was feeling weak before taking the pill. I slept, and in the morning, I was fine. But in the late-night, I read online that if I had vomited within two hours of consuming the pill, it would be ineff...  Read Full »

Dr. Reetika Joshi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I fully understand your concern. Yes, you are right, and I agree that ideally, the medicine is effective when it stays inside for more than two hours. So you should ideally take one more dose to keep yourself safe from unplanned pregnancy. Just for your informati...  Read Full »

Is there a difference in dosage of tablet Unwanted-72 depending on age?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a query about the dosage of tablet Unwanted-72 for a 19-year-old girl. During deep penetration, the condom broke in. After the failure of the condom, I took the tablet Unwanted-72 immediately. Do I need to repeat the tablet within 12 hours? I took the tablet twice last time when t...  Read Full »

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Tablet Unwanted-72 is a single dose medication that must be taken within 72 hours of unprotected intercourse or contraception failure irrespective of age, weight, or day of the menstrual cycle. The tablet Unwanted-72 acts ...  Read Full »

Can contraceptive failure occur with Copper-T?

Query: Hi doctor,Two months back, I had an abortion due to some health issues. After which, I had Copper-T and got my periods for the subsequent month. But in the next month, I did not get my periods. So can you please let me know with Copper-T is there any chance to get pregnant?  Read Full »

Dr. Reetika Joshi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I fully understand your concern and will surely help you. You had a period around 37 days back, so do not worry. Sometimes, the periods get delayed due to stress, hormonal changes, medications, etc. Do not worry. Since you had a period after your copper-T, most lik...  Read Full »

Does spotting after six days of taking I-pill mean no pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I experienced vaginal bleeding today. I had protected sex for the first time nine days back, but the condoms came off midway. As a precautionary step, I took a tablet I-pill after six hours of the sex. I had intercourse on the eighth day of my cycle. My menstrual cycle lasts for 28 to...  Read Full »

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston

Answer: Hello, I understand your concern, Bleeding or spotting after taking tablet I-pill is a side effect, as I-pill contains synthetic progesterone, which causes hormonal imbalance and prevents pregnancy. This hormonal imbalance can cause side effects like spotting, irregular bleeding, bloating, nausea,...  Read Full »