Q. Can you help us find a contraceptive pill that is safe and has fewer side effects?

Dr. Monica Mathur
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 01, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 04, 2021

I and my fiance aged 23 are trying to figure out which oral contraceptive should we go for. She does not have any medical condition yet. Her father has high diabetes, and she had a foot corn sometime back, for which she is wearing corrective sandals. She wears lenses, and her periods are regular around 30 days cycle. Can you help us find a contraceptive pill that is safe and has fewer side effects?

#

• According to the information you have given, Novelon (Desogestrel and Ethinylestradiol) oral contraceptive pills will best suit her.
  • But before that, she should get her fasting blood sugar, blood pressure, and complete blood count checked. Novelon has low hormonal content with good results. Feel free to consult on any problem.

Revert with more information to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thank you for replying. Her blood pressure is 100 /70 mmHg, and I attached the other test results. Also, one other thing is that she is allergic to tablets containing Paracetamol like Dolo or Crocin. Should we take any additional precautions while having the tablets in case there is any allergy? Should we start taking this tablet at the first day of periods?

#

I have gone through the report (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• The reports are normal. She can take the tablet from her first day of periods till the pack is over. After seven days, she will get her periods. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent.
  • As far as allergy is concerned, you may not worry, she can take these tablets. She should remain well hydrated as the summer is approaching. Drink plenty of fluids.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thank you for your help. We have been using Novelon from the first day of her periods. Today, she had some slight spotting in the morning as well as evening. Today is the 11th day after her periods, and she has not missed any dose till now. Is this normal? Kindly let us know. Regards.

#

I suggest using the Novelon tablet as advised. The spotting will stop in a day or two. The tablet should not be missed for two days in a row. Feel free to ask any doubts.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

She finished her first pack yesterday night. How many days should we wait before we start the next pack? Will she have periods during this time?

#

• I suggest starting the new pack from day one of her periods. Mostly, the period starts within seven days of stopping the pill. If the period does not come, still continue with the new pack.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thank you for replying. She has gone to her hometown, so she can start taking the pills only after 10 days. Would this create any complications? Also, I read somewhere that after finishing Novelon 21 pack, for seven days, you should not have any tablets, and then start the next pack. Is this correct information?

#

• Yes, it is true. During those seven days, she will get her periods. Start the new pack the day she comes back. As she may miss taking the pills for 3 to 4 days, you should use a condom to be on the safer side.
  • The pack has 21 active and seven inactive tablets to be taken regularly.

Thank you for the information. We are a bit confused. The packs that we have has only 21 tablets each. I have mentioned the two ways of having them, please let us know which one is correct. Tablet started on the first day of periods. 21st tablet finished on the 21st day of periods. New pack started on the 22nd day of periods, until the 42nd day of periods. Next periods are expected to come on 14th to 21st day and then next on 35th to 42nd day, and the same cycle continues.

The second option is to start the first tablet on the first day of periods. 21st tablet on the 21st day of periods. Next pack started on the 29th day of periods till the 49th day of periods. No tablets between 22nd and 28th days and 50th and 56th days. Periods will come on 22nd to 28th and between 50th and 56th. Please let us know which one is correct.

#

• The option number two is correct. Feel free to consult for any problem.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|