Q. Is Ovral G an emergency contraceptive pill?

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani
Published on Nov 10, 2018

I am 35 years old. My period was a month back. It sustained for four days. I generally use 3 to 4 pads in my periods. I had sex 10 days later. On the very next day, I had two Ovral G at around 9 AM and there after 12 hours again two Ovral G tablets. I noticed my period 12 days later, though it lasted for four days, the period was less and usually, my period happens four days earlier. In this month, it was six days earlier. I did hCG beta blood test. I am sending you the report. Can I be pregnant or conceive? Please advise because I want to abort. I am an unmarried woman. Can the blood test be wrong? What laboratory test I should do to get to know whether the fetus is there beyond uterus (ectopic pregnancy) as I m 35+. When should I go for ultrasound vagina testing to get the true picture? After that I did not have any sex, so then again can I be pregnant and that could not be detected now and can be detected on later?

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

General Practitioner Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

The test result is <0.10 (attachment removed to protect patient identity) which means it is negative and you are not pregnant and your period was six days early this time. nothing else. Do not worry much. And if you still have doubt then do urine pregnancy test weekly for two weeks and if negative then there is no chance of pregnancy. Negative means a single line and positive means double line. You have to see the result within five minutes. No need to go for an ultrasound now. Do drink more water and be happy. There is no pregnancy as Ovral G (Norgestrel and Ethinylestradiol) has worked this time.

So, due to Ovral G intake, my period was just spotting because there are instances in my family even after three months period, they got pregnant. Is Ovral G a contraceptive?

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

#

If a pregnancy was there then it should come positive within 20 to 25 days maximum after intercourse because it is not possible for pregnancy to grow after that. And yes, Ovral G even can disturb your regular cycle and increase and decrease your flow during menses. Yes, it is contraceptive and you can take two tablets together for an emergency.

Thanks a ton, but in case, if I wanted to go for an ultrasound vagina when can I go? And in case of ectopic pregnancy what is the procedure? To do the lab test? Can the blood test be wrong?

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

#

If the pregnancy was outside uterus than also test must come positive. hCG <0.10 means no pregnancy. You can do ultrasound within five days which can be abdomen and per vaginal if you insist. But it will come as normal if hCG is low and urine pregnancy test is negative. The results of the blood test depend on laboratory but 99.99 % times it cannot be wrong if done in a proper laboratory.

In case of ectopic pregnancy mostly will have to remove tube laparoscopically. There are medical options but the results are not sure. It is a secondary thing and do not worry you do not have any pregnancy or ectopic pregnancy. Do urine pregnancy test once a week for two weeks and if they both turn out to be negative then forget everything.

Thank you so much.

What is withdrawal bleeding?

Query: Hello doctor, Emergency contraception is 95% effective means is there some chance of getting pregnant? What more precautions could be taken during sex so that there will be full surety about it?¬†After taking it, will the periods be painful? In what way will it alter periods? Will it change the numb...  Read Full >>

Dr. Purushottam Sah

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read and understood your problem. Yes, there is some chance of pregnancy. You can use condom, but there is no contraception 100% effective even after contraception-operation very small chance of pregnancy remains.You can bleed any day after taking I-pill. There is ...  Read Full

I-Pill after 12 hours of unprotected sex. Will this leads to pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 19 years old. I took i-pill after four to five hours of having unprotected sex. I again had unprotected sex after 12 hours of taking the i-pill. I was very tensed and took another i-pill after 56 hours of the second incident. After seven days, I started bleeding. But, it was light...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, let me tell you that there is no chance of pregnancy. Usually, ovulation occurs between the 12th to the 16th day of periods or better said as 14 days before the periods. Life of egg is 24 hours and that of sperm is 72 hours. So, there was no chance of e...  Read Full

Taking Contraceptive Pills Before And After Sex Avoid Pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, How can pregnancy be avoided completely without the help of condoms?  Read Full >>

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Theoretically abstinence is the only way to ensure that one does not get pregnant. However, practically speaking there are many ways to avoid pregnancy. It ranges from using condoms to contraceptive pills to intrauterine devices to achieve longer contraception. ...  Read Full