Is bariatric surgery advisable for a coronary artery disease patient?

Q. If I have coronary artery disease, is bariatric surgery contraindicated?

Answered by
Dr. Prashant Valecha
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 10, 2022 and last reviewed on: Jul 20, 2023

Hi doctor,

I planned to go in for bariatric surgery and was instructed to take some pre-op tests for medical clearance. It included lab work, chest X-rays, and cardiology. So, today I received my EKG test results back. What does this mean? I immediately sent an email to my doctor, but he is yet to reply. I am terrified. Diagnosis lines: Normal sinus rhythm, T wave abnormality, consider inferior ischemia. Abnormal ECG, Non-specific T wave, abnormality now evident in lateral leads. Ventricular rate - 100, BPM atrial rate - 100 BPM, PR interval - 168 ms, QRS interval - 84 ms, QT interval - 330 ms, QT corrected - 425 ms, frontal axis - 50 degrees, right axis - 41 degrees, frontal axis - 26 degrees. Please help.



Welcome to

I understand your concern. It is not a very serious matter but suggests that there can be ischemia that is decreased blood supply in one region. It can also be a normal variant in inferior leads and females. To confirm and rule out any coronary artery disease, you need to do TMT (treadmill test). I hope this helps.

Hi doctor,

Thanks for your reply. If they determine artery disease, will they have to do a heart catheter? I was reading up on that. Also, if artery disease is detected, how is it treated? Do you think this will rule me out for bariatric surgery? Please help.



Welcome back to

I understand your concern. For surgery, cardiac fitness is needed. It can be assessed by effort tolerance of patient like how long one can walk or jog without chest pain or breathing difficulty or by doing TMT test. If it suggests disease in coronaries, they will ask you to get the cardiac problem treated first. For CAD (coronary artery disease), if TMT is positive, then the cardiologist will first do a coronary angiogram (CAG). Then if it is significant, they may advise PTCA (percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty). CABG (coronary artery bypass graft) is done if the disease is present in multiple vessels. I hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Other than surgery, is there any treatment for coronary artery disease?

.. gone through the reports. There are two best available options for CAD (coronary artery disease) at present, one is a bypass, and the other is stenting. Other available options are not high and are only adopted is either is two is not possible.   Read full

Can pain from splinter hemorrhages spread to other fingers and increase heart rate?

.. a possibility of limb ischemia that is obstruction of blood flow to your hand. As it is progressive, it is likely due to an embolus (clot) getting dislodged and landing in your hand or may be due to local clot formation.   Read full

Will Adepix interfere with anesthesia during sleeve bariatric surgery?

.. your concern about your health condition and possible issues related to Adepix. Adipex is Phentermine which is Noradrenaline and Serotonin reuptake inhibitor which causes high blood pressure and an increase in heart rate in association with anesthetic   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Cardiologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.