Q. Can Coronavirus cause itchiness in throat and shortness of breath?

Dr. Parth N. Nagda
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 08, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 20, 2020

I am a 23-year-old man. I have anxiety and depression but no immunodeficiency disorders or chronic diseases. First, I wanna know if my immune system is weakened and how likely am I to die of Coronavirus.

Second, I have itchiness in my throat and shortness of breath. I always have it because of anxiety but now it is more persistent than before. I also feel a very subtle feeling of pain, burning sensation and itchiness in my chest. I did not go out during the past ten days and have not been in contact with someone with positive Covid. And I quit smoking past week. Down to one or zero cigarettes from 20 a day. Why am I feeling itchiness and pain and burning sensation? How likely am I to have Covid-19? And how likely am I to die from it?

#

Anxiety can manifest itself in physical or psychological symptoms or both. The irritation sensation you are experiencing is a part of your anxiety. Also please do not believe the hype about covid. It has a low mortality rate, of 2-3 percent, that too mortality is very high in people above 60-70 years with other co-morbidities. You do not have any such disorders and you have not even been in contact with anyone, so do not worry.

Please continue to take your medicines for anxiety if you are taking them, if not, please consider visiting a psychiatrist and get started on some low dose SSRI type of medicines. Also, if needed a low dose Benzodiazepines can be added temporarily. Also, please do some deep breathing exercises, or progressive muscle relaxation. You can also take some honey with water to reduce the itching in the throat and also try doing some gargles with lukewarm salt water.

|