Q. I coughed up yellow phlegm and the area over my right lung is paining. Is it lung cancer?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 10, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 14, 2021

I am a 19 year old male, and I weigh 140 lbs, and I am 5.7 feet tall. About three weeks ago, I went to the doctor for a fever, chills, and a headache. I was told that it was a minor case of flu. I developed blood in my mucus soon after, but I did not go to the doctor, as it went away after four days. Soon after that, I felt better. But recently, I have a cough with yellow phlegm, and I also have a pain in my right lung area, slightly below my chest when I cough or breath deeply. I was told this pain could be due to coughing too hard. I was wondering if these past two instances could be linked together? Does it indicate something serious such as lung cancer? Thanks.

#

• Chances of cancer are very less, provided your young age. Still, you should get one a chest x-ray done.
  • I suggest you try using the following. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent.
  1. Capsule Augmentin 625 mg (combination of Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid), three times a day.
  2. Antacid like tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg, before breakfast, once a day for five days.
  3. Syrup Ascoril (combination of Phenylephrine, Triprolidine, and Dextromethorphan hydrobromide), two teaspoons whenever needed up to three times a day.
  4. Tablet Ibuprofen 400 mg, whenever needed up to three times a day.
  • If you smoke, then you should quit smoking, as it is damaging your airways and leading to infection.

Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|