Q. I coughed up yellow phlegm and the area over my right lung is paining. Is it lung cancer?

I am a 19 year old male, and I weigh 140 lbs, and I am 5.7 feet tall. About three weeks ago, I went to the doctor for a fever, chills, and a headache. I was told that it was a minor case of flu. I developed blood in my mucus soon after, but I did not go to the doctor, as it went away after four days. Soon after that, I felt better. But recently, I have a cough with yellow phlegm, and I also have a pain in my right lung area, slightly below my chest when I cough or breath deeply. I was told this pain could be due to coughing too hard. I was wondering if these past two instances could be linked together? Does it indicate something serious such as lung cancer? Thanks.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

• Chances of cancer are very less, provided your young age. Still, you should get one a chest x-ray done.
  • I suggest you try using the following. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent.
  1. Capsule Augmentin 625 mg (combination of Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid), three times a day.
  2. Antacid like tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg, before breakfast, once a day for five days.
  3. Syrup Ascoril (combination of Phenylephrine, Triprolidine, and Dextromethorphan hydrobromide), two teaspoons whenever needed up to three times a day.
  4. Tablet Ibuprofen 400 mg, whenever needed up to three times a day.
  • If you smoke, then you should quit smoking, as it is damaging your airways and leading to infection.

Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Fever in Babies: When to Call the Doctor

Article Overview: Fever is a non-specific symptom. When babies have fever, it can be traumatic for the parents as well, because they are unsure of what is causing it and how to soothe the baby. Adding to their anxiety, the baby is unable to explain his/ her discomfort in words. This article deals with how to take care of a baby who is down with fever and when to seek medical help. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S
Child Health Specialist

Fever is not an illness by itself, but a symptom. It can be due to virus or bacteria. Viral fevers that come with the common flu or cold tend to subside within three days. They do not require antibiotics as these medicines have no effect on the virus. On the other hand, bacterial fevers like urinary...  Read Article

What has to be done for fever and chills in 3 years 6 months old child?

Query: Hello doctor, Fever and chills in a child of age 3 years 6 months. A mild cough is also noticed. What can I do?  Read Full »

I have acidity and constipation after quitting smoking. Are these withdrawal symptoms?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 30 year old male and had been smoking for the last 10 years. I smoke four to five cigarettes a day. I stopped it completely for the last 36 days. Now, I am suffering with severe acidity and constipation. I am taking Sompraz 40 in the morning for the last 10 days, but no great impr...  Read Full »