Q. What should I do for cough with phlegm even after recovering from COVID?

Dr. Acha Varun Babu

I am 23 years old female. I recovered from COVID-19 two months ago, and I still cough with phlegm despite taking tablet Mucovisc for two weeks. There is no abnormality in the chest x-ray (PA view). Is this something I should be concerned?

Please help.

#

Your presenting complaint of cough with phlegm for two weeks indicates that you might have a lower respiratory tract infection, which is of concern. Having a cough itself says that something is abnormal. Taking tablet Mucovisc (Acetylcysteine) alone cannot help in your case. It would help if you had an antibiotic, breathing exercises, and chest physiotherapy (cough out the phlegm).

Along with tablet Mucovisc, I suggest you take tablet Augmentin 625 mg (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) twice daily for five days and syrup Ascoril (Bromhexine, Guaifenesin, Terbutaline, and Menthol) 10 ml twice daily.

You would experience an increase in cough after taking syrup Ascoril, as it has an expectorant that helps in coughing out the phlegm.

Do not worry, and you will be alright in a week.

In case if your problem persists after these medicines, I would suggest you do the following investigations.

1) CBP (complete blood picture)

2) ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate)

3) Sputum for AFB (acid-fast bacilli).

Thanks.

|