Q. Which all conditions cause persistent cough with phlegm?

Dr. A K Srivastava
This is a premium question & answer published on May 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 19, 2020

I am having persistent cough with phlegm for the last four months. I also have fatigue. I am currently taking Cymbalta, Abilify, Topamax, Baclofen, Lorazepam and Trazodone. Please help.

#

I understand your concern.

• Here I would like to tell you about the causes of persistent cough with phlegm. These are:
  1. Rhinitis and Rhinosinusitis.
  2. Chronic tonsillitis and tonsillopharyngitis.
  3. Chronic bronchitis.
  4. Bronchiectasis.
  5. Pulmonary tuberculosis.
  6. Malignant pathology of respiratory system.
  • For making correct diagnosis thorough examination of URT and LRT (upper respiratory tract and lower respiratory tract) are necessary. This may need some investigations like x-rays of sinuses and chest, culture and sensitivity of phlegm, etc.
  • Therefore, my suggestion is you should consult your ENT (ear nose and throat) specialist and physician for the above.
  • In the meantime, you may take steam inhalation, antihistamine, mucolytic agents and adequate liquid orally. I hope this will solve your problem.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|