Q. Which all conditions cause persistent cough with phlegm?

Dr. A K Srivastava
This is a premium question & answer published on May 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 19, 2020

I am having persistent cough with phlegm for the last four months. I also have fatigue. I am currently taking Cymbalta, Abilify, Topamax, Baclofen, Lorazepam and Trazodone. Please help.

#

I understand your concern.

• Here I would like to tell you about the causes of persistent cough with phlegm. These are:
  1. Rhinitis and Rhinosinusitis.
  2. Chronic tonsillitis and tonsillopharyngitis.
  3. Chronic bronchitis.
  4. Bronchiectasis.
  5. Pulmonary tuberculosis.
  6. Malignant pathology of respiratory system.
  • For making correct diagnosis thorough examination of URT and LRT (upper respiratory tract and lower respiratory tract) are necessary. This may need some investigations like x-rays of sinuses and chest, culture and sensitivity of phlegm, etc.
  • Therefore, my suggestion is you should consult your ENT (ear nose and throat) specialist and physician for the above.
  • In the meantime, you may take steam inhalation, antihistamine, mucolytic agents and adequate liquid orally. I hope this will solve your problem.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

| 

Can herbal capsules be given with allopathic medicine for child with allergic rhinitis?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter aged 9 years has been suffering from allergic rhinitis for the last few years. During the winter season, cold and cough are very common for her. In the summer, she suffers from coughing and itching in the body. The problem is hereditary as my whole family members like my m...  Read Full »

Why does my 7-year-old have breathing difficulty, cough and throat pain?

Query: Hi doctor, My 7 year old daughter has difficulty in breathing. Sometimes, she also makes noise while breathing. She has frequent cough and pain in the throat. The doctor advised a few medications. There was a little relief after two days. After exemption of medicine, the breathing difficulty, cough...  Read Full »

My 3.3 year old son has allergic rhinitis. Can I use Budecord inhaler?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 3.3 years old. Last year, he had three episodes of allergic rhinitis and one episode of allergic conjunctivitis. This year, our pediatrician asked us to get an allergy test done, and he put my son on Momeflo, Nukast 4, and Levolin inhaler. We found out that he is allergic to...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»