Q. Can I take Hydroxychloroquine once a month as a preventive measure for COVID-19 infection?

Dr. Isaac Gana
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 26, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 30, 2020

I am a 77-year-old male in great shape. I am 6' 1' tall and 194 lbs. I do stretching and balance exercises for an hour every morning. And I workout including lifting weights, hiking, and playing a high level of table tennis over 10 hours a week plus I run a working cattle ranch. I take daily vitamin D3 5000 IU (just increased to 10,000 IU for virus protection), CoQ10 100 mg, Baby aspirin 81 mg, and a multivitamin. I also take vitamin B12 1000 mcg every other day. No alcohol, little or no sugar, never smoked, and tried to eat all organic. But I am in constant AFIB. And have a one lead pacemaker that only comes into play if my heart rate gets below 50 beats per minute, which is almost never does. The very few times that it happens is usually when I am sleeping.

My question is if I get COVID-19 can I take Hydroxychloroquine 400 mg twice daily on day one, then 200 mg twice daily on days 2-5, Azithromycin 250 mg two tablets on day 1 then one tablet daily on days 2-5, and Zinc 50 mg twice daily until viral load declines then 50 mg once daily thereafter?

I would also like to start taking 200 mg of Hydroxychloroquine once a month to prevent COVID-19. Can I do so?

Dr. Isaac Gana

Cardiology
#

We do not yet have detailed proof as of now to the effects of Hydroxychloroquine on COVID-19 patients. There have been a few trials, but at the moment, they are inconclusive, and I cannot say for sure it will affect your cardiovascular system negatively or positively.

Please do not start Hydroxychloroquine as prophylaxis. If you were infected with COVID-19, it might be worth the risk for treatment, not as prophylaxis. I will advise you to instead take vitamin C, Zinc tablet as prophylaxis. Plus Azithromycin three days every month. Make sure to keep social distance, maintain good hygiene, continue with exercise.

|