Q. I have fever with headache, eye pain and nasal congestion. Can I suspect it as COVID-19 or flu?

Dr. Ma Loida Sajonas
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 30, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 30, 2021

I have a fever for eight days. I have a highest temperature of 38 degrees. I also have headaches, eye pain, and nasal congestion. I suspect it to be a COVID-19. But I do not have a cough and loss of taste and smell sensation. I am taking Paracetamol for fever and it drops for a few hours. I checked my throat and I do not have any white patches. Is it the flu? I am worried about the fever since I have it for eight days. Does flu symptoms last for more than a week?

#

It is really prudent to rule out COVID-19 (severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2) infection now. Based on your symptoms, you can have other conditions such as acute bacterial rhinosinusitis, as you have nasal congestion. Anyways, Covid or bacterial rhinosinusitis can be treated conservatively. But if you have any other high-risk conditions like asthma, uncontrolled diabetes, pregnancy, or any other immunocompromised state, it is better to know your status and it is necessary to have face to face consultation if there is a need.

For now, I suggest you take medicine for acute bacterial rhinosinusitis. Ideally, Covid -19 is tested using RT-PCR test (reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction) and CBC (completed blood count) is examined. You can take Co-amoxiclav 625 mg (Amoxicillin with Clavulanic acid) one tablet two times a day for five days, tablet Alnix plus (Cetirizine with Phenylephrine) five by ten milligram one tablet once at bedtime for seven days, Paracetamol 500 mg one tablet for every four to six hours, tablet Vitamin C with Zinc one tablet once a day.

Covid-19 (severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2) is examined using RT-PCR (reverse transcriptase chain reaction) test and CBC (complete blood count) with platelet is examined.

It can be COVID-19. Another suspect is Acute bacterial rhinosinusitis

Ideally, Covid-19 is examined using RT-PCR test and CBC with platelet is examined. You can take Co-amoxiclav 625 mg tablet one tablet two times a day for five days, tablet Alnix plus (Cetirizine with Phenylephrine) five by ten-milligram tablet one tablet once at bedtime for seven days, Paracetamol 500 mg tablet one tablet for every four to six hours as needed for fever, tablet Vitamin C with Zinc one tablet once a day.

You can increase oral fluid intake, watch out for difficulty of breathing, cold clammy skin, and chest pain.

Have a follow up after three days

|