Q. What is the effect of COVID vaccination on antibodies in a 80-year-old male?

Dr. Sugreev Singh

My 80-year-old father has received two doses of the Covishield vaccine in a gap of 5.5 weeks. He received his second dose last month. We did the antibody test. His antibodies are only 1.4, while for my mother, it is 20. They both received the doses on the same day. Does this mean he has low protection against COVID infection? Please explain.

#

Thank you for writing, and I understand your concern.

Low values mean that your father does not currently have an active COVID infection. However, they both had exposure previously, so antibodies are formed, which is why the antibody test is positive.

Your mother had more exposure; that is why more antibodies are formed, so nothing to worry they are not having any infection at present, and they have got vaccines, so everything will be fine.

It does not indicate low or high protection against coronavirus. It just tells about the exposure they have had previously.

If anything else, please let me know.

OK, doctor, so these antibodies are not due to the vaccine? How can we check if the vaccine has worked? Is there any test for that? I heard there is an antibody test to check spike protein. Should that be done? But strangely, they never experienced any symptoms of COVID. Is it possible that they were asymptomatic?

#

Thank you for the quick reply, and I understand your concern.

No test is required to check the efficiency of the vaccine. This test is significant, and it shows that they have immunity already, so nothing is needed.

Yes, it is possible that they had COVID, which was asymptotic. However, once a person is vaccinated, and an antibody test is positive, it means everything is fine, so no further testing is required.

If you still want to go for testing, you can go for the COVID antibody quantitative test.

And let me know.

|