Q. What is serum creatinine and why do we measure it?

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 27, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hello Doctor,

What is serum creatinine and why do we measure it?

#

We normally measure serum creatinine values in a few medical conditions. Serum creatinine is a very important determinant, since it is a waste product.

Its elevation in the serum points some kidney disorder such as glomerulonephritis, pyelonephritis, UTI (Urinary Tract Infection), acute renal failure, dehydration, shock or acidosis.

Normally the range is between 0.7-1.3 mg/dL. Even a minimal increase is considered to be significant. There are few treatment options available to lower the creatinine values such as Diet modifications, Through Medications, Dialysis and Hemodialysis.

For more details consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

|