Q. Can CT be used to check ascending aorta?

Dr. Ilir Sharka
and medically reviewed by Dr. Dr. Divya Banu M
Published on Jun 29, 2019

I recently had an echo done a month ago. It came back normal. I was reading my finding and I saw it was an enlarged ascending aorta at 3.7. They never said anything about that. So I got an appointment to go to a heart doctor and he looked at my echo and said everything was fine. But I told him I would like a CT scan with contrast to see was this true. So I did my CT chest with contrast. It came back with no finding, no aneurysm and my ascending aorta was 3.3. Is the CT more accurate or could the contrast block it? I am just asking. This is confusing to me.

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiology
#

Regarding your concern, I would like to explain that contrast enhanced angio CT is very accurate at delineating the aorta anatomy, its dimensions and any possible abnormality like enlargement or aneurysm. As your CT scan has resulted within normal ranges you should relax and not worry about it any more. You may perform an angio MRI after a distant period (after several years), if it is required by your doctor, as it has no radiation.

I do not need to do another echo soon and is the reading of my ascending aorta more correct in the CT than the echo reading? Could the echo have been read wrong. This is scary to me.

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiology
#

You have performed the angioCT of aorta which is precise and gives correct measurement values. So, for the moment, you do not need another imaging test. Echo may not provide the sufficient resolution and sometimes may not be possible to get the right windows for exactly measuring the aorta. So, you do not have to worry about this issue. Everything seems fine.

Should I worry about my deteriorating 2D Echocardiogram?

Query: Hello doctor, For the past three years, my 2D Echo seems to be deteriorating. My TMT is positive and CAG is recommended. Early stage cervical spondylosis too has been reported. I have attached my test reports for your reference. Currently I am taking Losar- H 25 mg. Please go through the reports an...  Read Full »

My CT scan reported multiple cysts in gallbladder. What is it?

Query: Hi doctor, Suddenly, I had an intense stomach pain. As per recommendation, I had a CT scan and other tests were carried out. It reported small multiple calculi with biliary sludge in the gallbladder. Jaundice is also high. My stomach pain, headache, body pain and vomiting is happening regularly. I h...  Read Full »

What does high deceleration time in echocardiogram indicate?

Query: Hi doctor, I recently had an echocardiogram. The results were normal, but the deceleration time is 439 ms. My doctor did not say anything about it while reviewing the results. But, I have subsequently learned that it is very prolonged. What should I do now?  Read Full »