Q. Please view my mother's CT report taken for headache and explain.

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Aug 20, 2019 and last reviewed on: Aug 21, 2019

My mother had a headache a long time recently, we did a CT scan, and there is a report of mild diffuse sclerosis on skull vault and bilateral concha bullosa and osteoma and more diagnosis. Can you please explain to me is there any problems or not?

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar

Neuro Surgery Neurology
#

Headache does not seem to be related to any structural cause in the brain. The findings mean the following. Sclerosis of skull vault could be age related and benign. However, I need to check the serum ionized calcium level. Sclerosis could be a sign of something abnormal if the serum calcium is abnormal.

1. Osteoma is a benign bone tumor. Nothing to worry and nothing to do.

2. Concha bulls is normal anatomical variation.

3. Sclerosis of mastoid air cells could be normal or sequelae of infection. If you have an earache or ear discharge, please consult an ENT specialist.

Essentially, the scan is normal. The headache could be related to migraine or tension headache.

Can a CT scan miss appendicitis?

Query: Hi doctor, I was in an emergency last night because of 48 hours of pain that moved to my right lower abdomen. Also, I am not eating, and I have severe diarrhea if I do. They said my white blood cells were a bit elevated. The CT scan without contrast did not show an inflamed appendix. Now it is the...  Read Full »

I have headache after using Nevanac ophthalmic suspension

Query: Hello doctor, I am 37 years old. I have discomfort and mild pain in the right eye since last four days. The doctor has advised taking Nevanac ophthalmic suspension 0.1 suspension, and Maxmoist eye drops for dry eye. He has advised to take Nevanac one drop four times daily in both eyes, and Maxmoist ...  Read Full »

Tension Headache, A Variant Of Migraine

Article Overview: Tension headache, otherwise called muscle contraction headache, is a type of headache that results in pain in the temporal region and radiates to the forehead and back of the neck. Read the article to know more. Read Article

Dr. Shubham Mehta

A tension headache is a dull, persistent pain that occurs in the temporal region (part of head just above the ears) in a band like distribution and may radiate forward to the frontal (forehead) region or backward to the occipital (part of head just above the neck) region. It is also referred to as a...  Read Article

Ask a Neuro Surgeon Now