Q. Will a CT scan be accurate if done without drinking a contrast?

Dr. Vivek Chail
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Sep 27, 2019

I am having pain in the right lower abdomen for 10 days. The ultrasound had shown mild inflammation of the appendix. Doctor then suggested a CECT whole abdomen. However, in the past, I have had difficulty keeping down the contrast they ask to drink. So the doctor advised CT Scan with IV contrast only and left out the drinking contrast part. The result of the CT scan came normal showing no Appendicitis. My query is, can the CT scan be done without drinking the contrast? Will it be accurate? Is IV only CT scan without the drink reliable? Is it surprising that USG showed mild appendicitis, but the CT scan did not? Please advise.

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiodiagnosis Radiology
#

The appendix is a tubular structure measuring less than 5 mm in normal people. When there is appendicitis, the appendix enlarges to 8 to 10 mm or more in diameter. Ultrasound scan has an accuracy of 50 percent for appendicitis in most patients. You have been found with a likely 9 mm appendix before some days. The CT scan was done before a week. It is possible that the inflammation of appendix decreased in a week and so the CT scan finding with only IV contrast showed near-normal appendix and no features of inflammation surrounding it.

An oral and IV contrast CT is always better to look for appendix related problems. There is no need to drink lots of oral contrast at a time, and you can drink in a few sips every few minutes for two hours to help the contrast reach the appendix area. I do this for my patients, and there are fewer chances of confusion in diagnosis of appendicitis. In your case, there is a possibility that the inflammation of appendicitis decreased in the interval between ultrasound and CT scans.

Could CT scan miss appendicitis?

Query: Hi doctor, I was in an emergency last night because of 48 hours of pain that moved to my right lower abdomen. Also, I am not eating, and I have severe diarrhea if I do. They said my white blood cells were a bit elevated. The CT scan without contrast did not show an inflamed appendix. Now it is the...  Read Full >>

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.CT scan could not miss a case of appendicitis unless the medical personnel who viewed the CT scan were not qualified enough for correct interpretation of the scan.However, the other causes of right lower abdomen pain may be any one of the following. It could be due to irrit...  Read Full

Is CT scan safe during pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 29 year old female, and I was hospitalized for a week due to UTI. As a part of it, a CT scan was taken, which showed that I am completely cured. Then the next day, a blood test showed two weeks pregnancy. I am worried that the CT scan would have an adverse effect on the baby. C...  Read Full >>

Dr. Deepti Verma
Fetal Medicine Specialist

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.I have gone through your question, and I understood your concerns.CT scan has strong radiations, and it is known to have adverse effects on the fetus. You should consult a gynecologist and decide further action.Hope you found the answer helpful. Do get back to me for furt...  Read Full

I have multiple small nodules in both the lungs. What should I do?

Query: Hi doctor, I underwent a comprehensive health checkup recently and it revealed multiple small nodules in both my lungs from the high resolution CT scan. Presently, I have sporadic recurring breathlessness during late evenings. Now, I am taking osteopenia medication, calcium and calcinase nasal spra...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sunil Kumar Nookala
Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your CT scan report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) suggests that you do have nodular lesions. But, your symptoms do not correlate with these lesions. Nodules of less than 5 mm size are of no significance. Nodule of 8 mm size to be followed up after s...  Read Full

Ask a Radiologist Now