Q. How can I manage severe dry cough and sore throat?

My mother is 56 years old. For last one month or so she is suffering from a sore throat and dry cough. Cough is severe. Throat problem improves and detoriates periodically. She has a history of an asthmatic problem. We have consulted doctors and she has taken three courses of antibiotics. We did a lot of tests without any findings. The cough problem persists and due to prolonged courses of antibiotics she feels week now and has developed mouth ulcers as well. She is exhausted from a persistent cough. What should we do?

#

I have evaluated the history and reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It seems she is suffering from chronic allergic bronchitis. Now, her chest X-ray is non-specific. My recommendations would be first of all to get a CECT chest and a pulmonary function test (PFT). This needs to be correlated with the clinical findings. If CT does not reveal any infection or tuberculosis, then we would need to giver her inhalers and anti-allergic for a few months. So, before we start any treatment go for the mentioned tests and write back with the results.

She has done a CT scan of thorax, the report seems normal. Primarily she needs some immediate relief from cough as she cannot even sleep at night.

#

Her CT is normal. So, I would recommend in such cases Rotahaler like Foracort 400 to be taken twice daily and anti-allergic like Levocetirizine and Montelukast once daily at night. For the relief of a cough at night, she can take Codeine-containing cough syrup. Since these are prescription medicines you should seek your doctor's advice and share my opinion with him.

|