Q. How can I manage severe dry cough and sore throat?

Published on Jan 13, 2019

My mother is 56 years old. For last one month or so she is suffering from a sore throat and dry cough. Cough is severe. Throat problem improves and detoriates periodically. She has a history of an asthmatic problem. We have consulted doctors and she has taken three courses of antibiotics. We did a lot of tests without any findings. The cough problem persists and due to prolonged courses of antibiotics she feels week now and has developed mouth ulcers as well. She is exhausted from a persistent cough. What should we do?

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

I have evaluated the history and reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It seems she is suffering from chronic allergic bronchitis. Now, her chest X-ray is non-specific. My recommendations would be first of all to get a CECT chest and a pulmonary function test (PFT). This needs to be correlated with the clinical findings. If CT does not reveal any infection or tuberculosis, then we would need to giver her inhalers and anti-allergic for a few months. So, before we start any treatment go for the mentioned tests and write back with the results.

She has done a CT scan of thorax, the report seems normal. Primarily she needs some immediate relief from cough as she cannot even sleep at night.

#

Her CT is normal. So, I would recommend in such cases Rotahaler like Foracort 400 to be taken twice daily and anti-allergic like Levocetirizine and Montelukast once daily at night. For the relief of a cough at night, she can take Codeine-containing cough syrup. Since these are prescription medicines you should seek your doctor's advice and share my opinion with him.

I have sore throat and weight loss. Do I need to test again for STD?

Query: Hello doctor,I had a test for STD and the results came negative for all tests. I received an oral sex from a spa therapist eight weeks ago. I tested for STD at six weeks. But I have a sore throat for one month and there is weight loss. Today I could see tiny rashes on my genitals. I tested again for...  Read Full »

My symptoms include dry cough, headache, body pain and nausea. Please help me.

Query: Hi doctor,The problem started out with a dry cough. The next day, I had achy bones and headache. It seemed like it was going away and came back the day after when I woke up feeling like throwing up. My eyes, chest and upper back aches with a feeling of nausea. Please help me. I am scared.  Read Full »

I am experiencing dry cough for last 2 months. I did blood test to see something wrong. Here are the results

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 35 year old male. I am experiencing dry cough for last 2 months. I visited local doctors two weeks back and they have suggested Deriphyllin R twice a day, Azithral A once a day and Allrite once a day for 5 days. But the cough returned after the course completed. I had slight press...  Read Full »